Commerce Majors (1 Viewer)

retrov

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I'm doing a Bachelor of Commerce at USYD and need some advice for choosing a second major. The first I've chosen is Accounting, and have chosen all the units I want to do (I can meet the CPA/CA accreditation requirements with my units as well). For the second major, I've pared it down to these three. (Ideally, I'd have wanted to choose HR, but it doesn't fit in with my course progression. )

Business Analytics
Business Information Systems
Finance

I know a Accounting/Finance combo is the most common/popular, but I'm not particularly keen on doing Finance because I don't think I'm interested in it. So I'd like to hear from people who are more knowledgeable than me, and any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Why doesn't HR fit with your "course progression"? What does that even mean, if you want to do it, just do it

retrov

HSC
N/A
Why doesn't HR fit with your "course progression"? What does that even mean, if you want to do it, just do it
I won't be able to satisfy the requirements, i.e. can't fit in the required units. I could leave out one other unit, not meet the CPA/CA accreditation requirements, and do that unit later in the CPA program, but I'd rather just do all the required units in my degree.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
I won't be able to satisfy the requirements, i.e. can't fit in the required units. I could leave out one other unit, not meet the CPA/CA accreditation requirements, and do that unit later in the CPA program, but I'd rather just do all the required units in my degree.
If it's just one unit you can always overload or do it in summer school(or just extend the degree by one sem with one unit), it's not like you need to fit a certain amount of units into your degree, you can always do more if need be (which would be the case for you)

retrov

HSC
N/A
If it's just one unit you can always overload or do it in summer school(or just extend the degree by one sem with one unit), it's not like you need to fit a certain amount of units into your degree, you can always do more if need be (which would be the case for you)
Ah, I didn't know about that. Thanks for letting me know.

But also, I've been talking to a few people who do HR, and it might not be the one I want to do. So I still want to hear other people's experiences on the other majors, especially BIS and Analytics.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Don't do finance if it doesn't interest you. But I'm assuming you've figured that out already.

I doubt other people's opinions will help you here too much. Do INFS1000, WORK1003 and BUSS1020 in your first year, and hopefully after that you should be in a good position to determine which major you want to pursue.

The HR major has one subject that is offered in Winter School, which is WORK2215, and this can only be done during your third year. Nevertheless, I don't see how that would harm your course progression; even with the accounting major and required CPA units, you should still have enough room to complete the HR requirements.

Have you done any planning so far as to what units you will do and when? What does it look like at the moment?

retrov

HSC
N/A
Don't do finance if it doesn't interest you. But I'm assuming you've figured that out already.

I doubt other people's opinions will help you here too much. Do INFS1000, WORK1003 and BUSS1020 in your first year, and hopefully after that you should be in a good position to determine which major you want to pursue.

The HR major has one subject that is offered in Winter School, which is WORK2215, and this can only be done during your third year. Nevertheless, I don't see how that would harm your course progression; even with the accounting major and required CPA units, you should still have enough room to complete the HR requirements.

Have you done any planning so far as to what units you will do and when? What does it look like at the moment?
So far, this is what I have.

Year 1

Sem 1:
BUSS1001
BUSS1030
BUSS1040
CLAW1001

Sem 2:
BUSS1002
BUSS1020
ACCT1006
INFS1000

Year 2

Sem 1:
ACCT2011
INFS2001
CLAW2201

Sem 2:
ACCT2012
CLAW3201
FINC2011

Year 3

Sem 1:
ACCT3011
ACCT3012

Sem 2:
ACCT3014
BUSS3500

enoilgam

HSC
Why in particular are you interested in HR? Is it something you wish to pursue?

retrov

HSC
N/A
Why in particular are you interested in HR? Is it something you wish to pursue?
It's the only one I know anything about, what it involved, and career options. But I don't think it's something I want to pursue anymore.

enoilgam

HSC
It's the only one I know anything about, what it involved, and career options. But I don't think it's something I want to pursue anymore.
Another question, why a double major? If you want to do CPA/CA, isnt Accounting enough?

retrov

HSC
N/A
Another question, why a double major? If you want to do CPA/CA, isnt Accounting enough?
I guess to expand my options, and I'd prefer doing another major over just filling in the rest of my credit points with electives.

enoilgam

HSC
I guess to expand my options, and I'd prefer doing another major over just filling in the rest of my credit points with electives.
To be honest, if you are intent on being an Accountant, Id just do a single major. Im very much of the view that when it comes to uni, just get what you need and go. Getting into the workplace as soon as possible I think is a much stronger solution - you can always pursue other avenues in the workplace and do further training later on.

pHyRe

HSC
pick whatever interests you

business analytics is a very good general degree to make you data/stats literate which is one of the most important skills imo. at work i see communication majors working in marketing have to have at least a mediocre grasp of data.

BIS is another good choice - perhaps a bit drier (in my opinion) but good jobs and another strong foundation

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Alright that seems like a decent plan. You can definitely fit in a second major if you want. If you were still open to doing a HR major I would do WORK1003 in Semester 2 and INFS1000 in Summer School 2017.

Or alternatively you could fill your 6 remaining subjects with the only other 2 accounting subjects you're not doing, and do a few electives (perhaps some WAM boosters from the Arts faculty). In any case, you're all set for first year at least, so see where you go after that.

milkytea99

HSC
OP, why don't you just do accounting and BIS? As I know that INFS1000 is also required for an accounting major and it is also one of the requirements for BIS major. At least you can kill two birds with one stone IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)