Commerce/Math job prospects? (1 Viewer)

qwert73

HSC
I'm thinking of doing a double degree in commerce/advanced mathematics at UNSW or Usyd but I've heard mixed things about the employability of math graduates. I'm thinking of majoring in finance and either statistics or applied math, so would this double degree be employable for jobs like Banking, Datascience, Finance, Management Consulting, or any of those types of jobs or is comm/law a better degree choice?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
well what do you like doing

what subjects do you like/are passionate about

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I'm thinking of doing a double degree in commerce/advanced mathematics at UNSW or Usyd but I've heard mixed things about the employability of math graduates. I'm thinking of majoring in finance and either statistics or applied math, so would this double degree be employable for jobs like Banking, Datascience, Finance, Management Consulting, or any of those types of jobs or is comm/law a better degree choice?
You got a better chance of getting employed with the maths half than the commerce half honestly.

More money too.

si2136

HSC
N/A
You got a better chance of getting employed with the maths half than the commerce half honestly.

More money too.
Finance/Quant. is the best out there

or just screw Finance and self-learn it and go Comp. Sci. / Stats

enoilgam

HSC
You heard wrong. In this day and age, there is a strong trend towards big data, analytics, risk, modelling etc which has really pushed up the demand for people who have a mathematical background. Id say it's probably one of if not the most in demand field within the corporate space.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)