• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Commerce or Eco at Macq (1 Viewer)

M

mushi

well..i got 87.75 for my uai today..and i just missed the cut off for commerce or eco at macq..goddamit

is theres slightly any chance at all that macq all accept me?

i just hope the cut offf this year will go down a tad..

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Whatever the cut off is, that's it. However having said that, MQ has an easy transfer system. You can transfer after one semester (half a year) provided your results aren't too shabby. Take for example someone I know. He got below 80 (in 2002) and started in Computing. And then after one semester didn't like it, and transferred to Commerce. And he didn't even get a Credit Average.

So there's hope. :)

M

mushi

ok, what about if i start wif bachelor of arts and then transfer? it should be ok to transfer provided i do well?

but from what i heard doesnt the courses you want to transfer to must be within your UAI range..its like i cant transfer to law with a UAI of 70..

i

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I'm not sure about LAW. But at MQ, the system is lenient (it's based on the philosophy that if you can do it - get throught the subjects - they'll let you into the course). Even LAW I think after a certain number of credit points and a credit average, you're allowed in.

It should be (alright to start with Arts).

Btw, I go to MQ.

M

mushi

nice..thx for the info..i thought i had no chance into gettin into commerce..:)
(law was jsut an example btw, i didnt wanna do that :p )

do u know anything about other uni's like syd/unsw?
are their transfer policys as lenient as macqs?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Unfortunately, USyd and UNSW are very strict. You need a decent UAI (preferably above 97) and I think about a Distinction average. It's basically done through UAC. Whereas with MQ, it's more of an internal process.

Laz did that, basically.

M

mushi

oh well..looks like its arts for me next year :)

the arts degree shouldnt jump past a cut off 87 would it? cause arts has been consistenitly rising these few years..

oh btw, is what i do a common thing at macq? like do many pppl do courses wif a lower cutoff in the hope of transfer?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Not as often as you'd think. However, people do tend to transfer but because they don't feel the course suits them.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Take for example someone I know. He got below 80 (in 2002) and started in Computing. And then after one semester didn't like it, and transferred to Commerce. And he didn't even get a Credit Average.
How does that work?, 'cos Computing & Comm would have different subjects wouldn't they? Btw wot computing course was dat?

I got UAI of 85.45:(, i'm not sure if i'll get in2 Arts, so wot would be da preferable low UAI course i could i do which would enable me to transfer in2 Comm or BBA?

I called da MQ hotline, the guy said 2 do eBiz or Science, wot do u think?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
MQ is such that all you need is a decent GPA and you can almost transfer to anything in MQ.

Arts I'd say has more variety. Alternately, if it's possible, enrol in Arts / Sci for a variety of subjects to chose from.

AcStyle*

Believe in Desire
HSC
Is there an Arts/Science course? I can't find it any of the MQ or UAC publications. :confused:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I don't believe there isn't. Anyway, you know what I mean?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Grade Point Average.

Essentially an average of your grades ie. Fails, Passes, Credits, Distinctions or HDs.

ToRnaDo

HSC
Hi...i always prefer Actuarial Study with 3 course (due to money problem) but there is no hope for me now because my UAI is only 93.1.

Is there any way i can get into Actuarial Study...

Considering other Uni such as UTS and UNSW the fee is extremly expensive........

I think i will apply Commerce in Accounting and Finance??
is that course at Macquaire good and easy to get a job???

Could u please advice and give any information abt it???

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
You can transfer to Actuarial after a year (with a decent GPA). However, with that UAI I wouldn't recommend Actuarial because you'll most likely find it difficult because you'll be competing with many people who achieved 98+.

Accounting is great at MQ, it's one the subjects it's known for (besides ACST).

There is an Actuarial Studies mini-forum in MQ. Go there, and take a look at some older threads. They'll be useful, hopefully.

James Dean

The oldest join date here
HSC
N/A
heres the latest internal transfer policy in case you havent found/seen it yet.

http://www.registrar.mq.edu.au/Forms/USSTrans.pdf

as long as you at least pass four subjects (12 credit points) you should be able to do most courses listed there. including commerce and ecos.
for all the courses except for law they dont care about your uai or the the subjects you do in the course your already doing. so you could do computing and still do commerce or whatever, as long as you satisfy the requirements listed there.
as long as you dont fail any subjects you'll do fine!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)