Commerce or Economics (1 Viewer)

spratt_jg

My UAI was 96.3, I'm totally lost and dont know what to do.

Firstly, should I do Commerce or Economics - what's the difference (the majors you can choose from are virtually the same)?
If I do Eco, can I major in Accounting and still get the same CPA recognition as the Commerce students do?
Which Uni is better and why are the cut-offs at UNSW higher?

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
u should still get the CPA recognition
the cutoff is higher at UNSW cuz more ppl apply for it there because it's apparently better

dvse

HSC
N/A
Depends what you are after.

Economics is not generally regarded as a very practical course by Australian employers and no, you can not major in Accounting, at least at UNSW. If you want to do economics research, the single best piece of advice is to do a double degree with maths, as otherwise the level of preparation is simply inadequate to understand anything in research journals.

If you want to get a degree that will open up most employment opportunities, commerce majoring in finance and accounting is probably the best bet.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by dvse
Economics is not generally regarded as a very practical course by Australian employers and no, you can not major in Accounting, at least at UNSW.
what?
I have friends in B.Eco double majoring in Eco and Accounting

u can major in Accounting, and in fact anything except Actuarial Studies in UNSW Economics. It does not matter in the slightest, if u wanna become an accountant, whether u do Commerce or Economics - as long as u do the required CPA/CA subjects for professional recognition

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Minai

IIt does not matter in the slightest, if u wanna become an accountant, whether u do Commerce or Economics - as long as u do the required CPA/CA subjects for professional recognition
how do we know that we are doing the right subjects ? :confused: do they tell us when we start Uni?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by perfectionist
how do we know that we are doing the right subjects ? :confused: do they tell us when we start Uni?
U are responsible for this yourself
because u are enrolling online at the start of every year, it is up to u to make sure u enrol in the right subjects - check the CPA/CA websites for what subjects u need to do
and anyway, u get faculty guides/handbooks that tell u all the rules of choosing subjects etc

dvse

HSC
N/A
Hmm.. I stand corrected. Indeed it appears that you can take exactly the same majors within BEc as BCom.

Was it always like this ? I was under the impression that the only majors available were something like Economics, Econometrics and Economic History. Admittedly last time i looked was more than three years ago.

One can only wonder why offer separate degrees at all ?

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
The main difference between an economics and commerce degree lies with the majors you can do, well for usyd that is!

When you take an economics degree you MUST major in one of economics/econometrics/economic history plus on top of this you you can take an optional major from commerce eg. Marketing, Accounting etc. . .

For a Commerce degree you can major or double major in any unit from the economics and commerce areas.

Hope that clears things up for you!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep, same at UNSW - the only difference with B.Economics is that u have to major in either Economics, Economic History, Econometrics or Financial Economics, with ur second major being anything else except Actuarial Studies

jpr333

HSC
lol nice alternating avatar Minai

Oh and do Commerce- more flexibility

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by jpr333
lol nice alternating avatar Minai

Oh and do Commerce- more flexibility
thats me =p

and I agree

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)