Commerce Students Help (1 Viewer)

Tommy_69

Old Member
HSC
Im currently undertaking a Maths Bridging Course and having trouble with
- Circular Functions - trig identities etc
- Inverse Functions - logs

Should I bother trying to perfect these topics or discard it? In other words will they be included in the Commerce course particularly in these subs.

- accounting 1a
- commercial law 1a
- business statistics
- intro micro

- accounting 1b
- commercial law 1b
- business info systems
- intro macro

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
naaah...dont bother:) ....i dont remember using those topics in any of the above units.....
goodluck....

A

adamsaclown

really doubt you'd need trig for those subjects, and with logs, just learn how to use them on your calculator (i think i remember doing something with that in ECMT...oh yeah with interest rates and annuities and stuff)

Tommy_69

Old Member
HSC
I want to do a double major with something not too involved in maths - around 2unit level. what options do i have. My first major will be commercial law but i duno what else to choose. Does economics maths get hard and also hows the maths in finance?

thx.

Last edited:

Lainee

HSC
Tommy_69 said:
I want to do a double major with something not too involved in maths - around 2unit level. what options do i have. My first major will be commercial law but i duno what else to choose. Does economics maths get hard and also hows the maths in finance?

thx.
The maths in finance is pretty much using formulas and manipulating algebra, though in later units the maths tends to get more involved.

Finance involves more maths than many other majors though; accounting, marketing, international business, political economy, international relations, business information systems and management are all others you can choose that will involve very little maths.

Ranking of majors based on assumed mathematical knowledge required and mathematical content, from most to least vigorous:

1. Econometrics
2. Finance
3. Accounting
4. Economics
5. Marketing, International business, Political economy, international relations, business information systems and management

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
When you rank Accounting above Economics in terms of mathematical content, are you talking about Senior units, Lainee?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Actually. Should probably be.
1. Econometrics
2. Finance
3.Economics (later year econ texts are, as said by my ecmt tutor, practically maths textbooks)
4. Accounting
5. Marketing (marketing research involves maths, regression etc
6. The others.

Rorix

HSC
Dude I don't want to be overly negative but do you really think that throwing in the towel at learning a short thing like basic logs or trig is a good philosophy to go into university with?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)