commerce with arts or scienceeee? (1 Viewer)

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
Hey guys, I'm interested in B Commerce (Actuarial studies and Finance) next year at UNSW, and I was wondering which one out of B Science (psychology) and B Arts (Asian studies), would bring me more job prospects when I graduate. I do intend to complete an actuarial honours years. I heard that learning a language could further increase my chances at a job, however I do enjoy what is taught in the field of psychology and it could might help with convincing the clients to contract with us or whatever, so just wondering. Thanks

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Hey guys, I'm interested in B Commerce (Actuarial studies and Finance) next year at UNSW, and I was wondering which one out of B Science (psychology) and B Arts (Asian studies), would bring me more job prospects when I graduate. I do intend to complete an actuarial honours years. I heard that learning a language could further increase my chances at a job, however I do enjoy what is taught in the field of psychology and it could might help with convincing the clients to contract with us or whatever, so just wondering. Thanks
Come on, isnt it obvious?

If you're gonna do actuarial, then why would you waste time doing psychology or asian studies? Just do maths under a science degree and you'll have awesome job prospects.

In first year, I knew a guy who did actuarial combined with an arts degree in film and I just thought he was just wasting his time. Then again, he was in his final year by then and we were doing fins1612 together so go figure..

Blaz-357

HSC
Thxs for the reply (i got my friend to post this, my account wasnt working b4) but within the actuarial studies major, arnt I going to be doin maths subjects within the degree alrdy? If so would psychology be a good course to take, since it could improve my social interactions and so forth? I don't really want to take a maths degree in Science if I'm alrdy going to be doing it within the Actuarial course.

cyl123

HSC
Aside from the maths courses you do in first year actuarial, you don't do any more maths courses. Actuarial studies focuses a lot more on statistics rather than actual maths.

Blaz-357

HSC
Aside from the maths courses you do in first year actuarial, you don't do any more maths courses. Actuarial studies focuses a lot more on statistics rather than actual maths.
So would it be unwise to not major in maths within the Science degree? or is the maths that is taught in first yr, enuf for the degree?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
psychology isnt what you think it is....trust me....i actually do it...nevertheless it is more of a fun major

cyl123

HSC
So would it be unwise to not major in maths within the Science degree? or is the maths that is taught in first yr, enuf for the degree?
Maths is recommended strongly, but it is not necessary for the actuarial degree. The first year maths courses are sufficient for the actuarial major. I feel that maths is probably the best match for actuarial studies in terms of job prospects as you are able to work in areas where strong technical skills are required (such as quants) but if you want a "fun" major then by all means choose something you enjoy.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
there is a lot of bullshit theories that can be deduced through logic. there is almost no work in first year but sometimes varies with the readings you get in second year. generally, unless you do honours or postgrad with it, its quite bs most of the time.

Blaz-357

HSC
there is a lot of bullshit theories that can be deduced through logic. there is almost no work in first year but sometimes varies with the readings you get in second year. generally, unless you do honours or postgrad with it, its quite bs most of the time.
but does it actually help with ur persuading/manipulative skills? like i could persuade my clients to join up with me etc etc. and almost no work! yes more fun time haha!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)