Communication and Media Studies/Bachelor of Commerce (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm really interested in this course, just wondering anyone do this course??
Whats the workload like? How many days a week do you attend uni? Anyone do the advertisimg and marketing stream for the comm major??

I'd like to hear anything about. Thanks

lexy-kate

Hey i do B Comm and Media Studies/ Arts (psych) and it is really really interesting. The psychology part is a bit of a bummer, but comm and media studies i love. All the core subjects are pretty thought-provoking and require discussion and understanding rather than just regurgitating a text book which is nice, it allows you to be creative.

However, the Adv and Mark major is very commerce based, and commerce is alot of the time just rewording the textbook. It means if you study hard its pretty easy to get a D, but is pretty mind numbing sometimes. The assignments are all pretty interesting, for example in marketing you have to do a major report on a company and its marketing strategies and stuff, its good fun, just studying for tests is a bummer. Also, you should probably know there isnt heaps of advertising in it. Only by 2nd or 3rd year do you actually get to do a subject based on advertising.

But all in all i love my uni course its definatly the right one for me, but it depends what your looking for in a course. if you have any other questions feel free to let me know. Hope ive been of some help

lexy-kate

Sorry forgot to answer half your questions, the workload isnt huge, im only at uni 2 days a week this semester, but they're 7 or 8 hour days, so its probably best to spread them out.. i just dont like driving. The workload is pretty cruisy, you might get one week with massive amounts due but other than that you might only have one thing to focus on per week max which is lovely.

HSC
It seems really interesting!!
Its just i live really far from the uni, i live in the bankstown area so it'd take me a while by train and about an hour by car? ...

What are the core units you have to do in Media and communication studies??

thanks.

The good thing is im completing a adv. diploma in business which gets me 1 year credit so i'd be put into 2nd year and have (3.5 years) left!! :) how cool!

lexy-kate

well i live in menai, so thats not too far from bankstown really and it takes me about 40 minutes. Train would be worse because you'd have to swap trainlines i think.. at least to get to bankstown or padstow anyway. its about an hour train trip from uni to sutherland though, at least you can get some reading done.

The core subjects for media studies are generally a combination of politics, philosophy, sociology and communication & cultural studies.

Politics is good as long as you have an understand of basic economic principles.. which you will seeing as your doing the degree with commerce. philosophy has a bit of reading but its really really interesting (you actually look forward to the lectures), sociology can be pretty boring sometimes unfortunatly, and communication and cultural studies is interesting, but strange. It requires alot of indepth analysis of ways of communicating such as songs or photos or whatever. to alot of people its just bullshitting your way through it and trying to be 'deep'. But its still interesting.

HSC
oooh kool,

Im extremely interested, now that i know some info on it, it looks very interesting and its real good to have a double double degree just incase you want to change careers at some point you have something to sorta switch too.. so yeahs..

im doing my adv. diploma at martincollege and its affiliated with UOW where i get credit..... "Graduates of the Advanced Diploma of Business Management may receive a maximum of 48 credit points (equivalent to one year of full-time study) into the Bachelor of Commerce programme, provided they have met the entry requirements of the university. " ... do you think i'll still get a year credit if i choose to do Communication and Media Studies/Bachelor of Commerce ...??

i appreciate your help... thank you

Miss Wendy

HSC
I do the communications half of it. But yeh, first year is pretty good. the sociology course is a flying bitch though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)