Communication: Info management or Social Inquiry? (1 Viewer)

DaRanjed

Which one do I choose? *grabs head in frustration*

Info management sounds good...especially the "consistently high" employment rates.

But Social Inquiry sounds more interesting...but people have described it as being a fuzzy course with no real direction - and that's the last thing I'd want to happen...spend 3 years of Uni fees learning something that won't get me a good job.

Here are some questions I NEED to know before 12 o'clock tonight...

Is Social Inquiry THAT fuzzy?
What's the practical experience like?
Is it very politically based? I mean, I'm interested in stuff like sexism, racism etc. but that's not political...or is it?
I'm just not very interested in governments and laws etc. ;)

Now, about Information Management. The UAI cutoff was 81. I got 89. Wouldn't I be wasting a lot?
The course sounds like it can get me into a lot of good jobs...which I'm unsure of regarding Social Inquiry.

Which should I choose?
Is information management interesting??

DaRanjed

This is for Social Inquiry:

Additional recognition of prior learning
The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences has established an Advanced Standing Package with the following institutions for the courses listed below:

TAFE NSW: Diploma in Community Services (Welfare)
College of Higher Vocational Studies, City University of Hong Kong: Associate of Social Science in Public Administration and Management.
What does that mean?
City University of Hong Kong?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
DaRanjed said:
Now, about Information Management. The UAI cutoff was 81. I got 89. Wouldn't I be wasting a lot?
Just because you get a much higher UAI, it doesnt mean that you should automatically choose a course with a high cut-off. Do what you want to do.
If you are unsure of what the courses involve i recommend checking out the handbook. There you can look at subjects and possible career opportunties.

UTS Hand Book 2005

Ill be choosing Social Inquiry to combine with Law. Many because of the politcal/social slant. Unless you very assertive and will actively seek jobs endlessly, social inquiry probablyisnt the course for you. My cousin who is doing it is putting on charity events andfundraisers in oreder to better prepare herself when she finishes her degree to find a job.

Anyway, good luck either way.

DaRanjed

"actively seek jobs endlessly"?
It's THAT hard to find a job with Social Inquiry? :(

DaRanjed

How come I can't find the UAI cutoff for Bachelor of Arts in Communication (Social Inquiry) and in International Studies?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Cut off of Social Inquiry/Int Stu. 2003= 97.35, 2004=94.95

And yes, Social Inquiry, like most Arts Degrees (and specifically communications) is a fairly tough field to compete with in the workforce.

Law and Business are much easier. I guess it depends on youre will power and motivation.

DaRanjed

I'm so indecisive.

Imformation management has "consistently high" employment rates...
but what IS it that you study in the course? I've looked in the handbook and the course looks quite boring.
Can someone please tell me about info management?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
It depends what your interested in really. Look at the career options and see which ones you can see yourself doing.

DaRanjed

Thanks man for all the help.

I'm not gonna think anymore. I'll so Social Inquiry. If I don't like it, I'll transfer to Vis Comm or some other Communications subject.

HOpefully I'll stick with this because the part about the City University of Hong Kong sounds good. :D

Again, thanks! :uhhuh:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Most of the first semester subjects are the same across all communications courses so it wont be so bad tranferring. Good luck.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
As far as I know, in Info Management you learn how to be a librarian lol..... thats all I know about it. I think it is like social inquiry in that you learn about research methods.... I think you also learn about internet/webpages and presenting info online.... I don't really know a lot about it frankly.

And with the advanced standings packages, basically what that means is that if you have completed the study that they have mentioned at one of those institutions you will be exempted from some subjects in the communications degree due to your prior learning. So unless you have done those courses already, it is totally irrelevent to you.

DaRanjed

How easy is it to tranfer from one communications subject to another?

Can I do it after a semester or does it HAVE to be a whole year?

Jinglebell

HSC
I'm not really sure how easy/hard it is to transfer, but I think you have to wait till the end of first year - it's only one subject different each semester anyway for first year, it's not like a whole different course you're missing out on!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)