communication - the process of vision (1 Viewer)

schooly

hi, can anyone please explain to me the process of vision like the photoreceptor cells, rhodpsin, bipolar cells and all? i read the bit on it from biology in contexts Option but i am hoping someone willing to just RIEFLY expalin it to me. Thankyou

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
ok well i'm assuming you know about the structure of the eye

when we 'see', we're actually seeing light which is being either reflected or absorbed by objects.
the light we see passes through the cornea, aqueous humour, lens and vitreous humour. these four components refract light. the light then hits the retina, which is made of photoreceptors - rods and cones.
rods detect movement and light,, they cannot distinguish colours. rods contain rhodopsin (or visual purple), which is broken down into its components when we 'see' and then reforms. this makes an electrochemical signal which can be interpreted by the brain.
cones require light to be stimulated and can distinguish between colours. they do this because there are three types of cones - red, blue and green.
the photoreceptors then transmit the received signals to the brain where an image is formed.

i hope this is right; correct me if there's anything odd there.

schooly

hi and thanks for the quick reply. but i didnt quite understand this bit:

contain rhodopsin (or visual purple), which is broken down into its components when we 'see' and then reforms.
what do you mean by broken down and reform....
Thankyou

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
I think my teacher went into too much detail..

its from the d/poutline the role of rhodopsins in rods
i quote:
Rhodopsins are light sensitive pigments, which consist of two molecules bonded together: opsin and retinal. When light enters a rod or cone, it splits rhodopsin molecules into its two components. This reaction results in an impulse in the neuron attached to the rod or cone. The two products slowly recombine, ready to be split again by more light. This is called the visual cycle.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Yeah I guess thats what happens when light hits the photoreceptors...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)