Communication @ UWS (1 Viewer)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
The only person who I can think of does it, is Jacks. Some others on here might have done some subjects which are associated with the degree.

Jacks

HSC
it's ok, I do BA (Comm) which is pretty much the same thing minus the arts obviously. If you are looking to do communications you will have to make it straight communications as they aren't offering my course to new students. I think communications will only be offered at Penrith in the coming years. You will probably be given the opportunity to choose an elected major or choose a specific area of study from a selected list, obviously how much you enjoy it depends on what you choose and on what your interests are. I don't mind it, but I'm suited to that type of study and I like what I'm doing. Of course you get the odd unit you don't like, or an extremely painful core unit, but that's all part of the uni game. :)

HSC
i know someone who does it he doesnt seem to mind it, with these kinda units though its harder to get higher grades because it relies highly on critical thinking

green_fairy

mmm, absinthe
HSC
Jacks said:
it's ok, I do BA (Comm) which is pretty much the same thing minus the arts obviously. If you are looking to do communications you will have to make it straight communications as they aren't offering my course to new students. I think communications will only be offered at Penrith in the coming years. You will probably be given the opportunity to choose an elected major or choose a specific area of study from a selected list, obviously how much you enjoy it depends on what you choose and on what your interests are. I don't mind it, but I'm suited to that type of study and I like what I'm doing. Of course you get the odd unit you don't like, or an extremely painful core unit, but that's all part of the uni game. :)
I'm thinking more towards journalsim or public relations kind of stuff. Do any of the subjects you do relate to that?

Jacks

HSC
some of them do yes, but my major isn't as concentrated on that as some others are...but you can definitely choose to do that. You can do units such as "introduction to journalism" etc. You get to choose which units you want to do, so you would just choose those types of units since they interest you. Communications is pretty open with a wide range of units available to you within specific majors, so you can cover a range of different subject areas. :)

Angel45

HSC
Hi,

I do B. Comm Studies/LLB.

It's a good course because the core units incl. an intro to journalism, advertising, pr and whateva the 4th option for a major is.... so if ur tossing up between pr or journalism those intro subjects will help u to decide which major u want to eventually choose. Also, the subjects u do as core units also relate to the various majors... for example... writing as communication leans toward journalism and communication research is good for all the professions really, but esp. journalism and pr.

I like it because it's more profession specific than some uni, but not too limiting as some r also.

green_fairy

mmm, absinthe
HSC
natstar said:
I did an advertising unit, it was interesting but comm seems to be too practical for me. I prefer to write essays (gasp). Advertising is especially good becuase apparently its regarded in the industry over other uni's (like UTS) becuase the pratical/theory ratio is more balanced. Apparently UTS is too theory oriented
Really? Thats really good to hear. It really shits me when i hear people bagging out uws saying its just a last resort and its inferior to other unis just cause the cutoffs are lower.

Jacks

HSC
natstar said:
I did an advertising unit, it was interesting but comm seems to be too practical for me. I prefer to write essays (gasp). Advertising is especially good becuase apparently its regarded in the industry over other uni's (like UTS) becuase the pratical/theory ratio is more balanced. Apparently UTS is too theory oriented
I don't know if straight Comm is more practical, I assume it would be but I write a huge amount of essays, piles of them...so there is a lot of theory in what I do, a lot more theory than practical. I prefer essays too which is just as well!

L

LaraB

green_fairy said:
I'm thinking more towards journalsim or public relations kind of stuff. Do any of the subjects you do relate to that?
lol - if you wanna do that stuff, do B Comm(journalism) - my bro's doin it - all about journalism n public relations stuff:) so would probly be better than some of the other Communications courses if that's what you're after:)

L

LaraB

Jacks said:
I don't know if straight Comm is more practical, I assume it would be but I write a huge amount of essays, piles of them...so there is a lot of theory in what I do, a lot more theory than practical. I prefer essays too which is just as well!
from what my bro says straight comm at uws is very practical compared to other unis and courses

for him 1st year isn't - a lot of theory and stuff to get the basics down but 2nd year on is a lot of practical stuff eg use of cameras etc..

although - he's doing it combined with law, so i'm guessing a straight comm degree would mean u'd get onto the more practical stuff in 1st year coz you do 4 units per semester wherease he only does 2 comm units.

of course though if its a journalism based major - you should expect to do a lot of writing too coz i guess that's what a career in it would be like so it's good practice:)

aliciat

HSC
Hi guys!
Not to be somewhat random but does this communication course have exams?

aliciat

HSC
Oooh ok. That's cool.

Your moving pic thing (has no idea what the technical term is) is very disturbing. And I think I've seen it before.

Jacks

HSC
natstar said:
no Jacks, i'm referring to the advertising course, i'm not sure about the other major's
I know it's ok...I was just making a comparison...my point mainly being that it does depend on the major you do...just so prospective students know what to expect.

green_fairy

mmm, absinthe
HSC
For anyone that does this course what are some of the units you can choose from that are good for public relations and journalisim?

zzangelzz

Queen of the Damned
HSC
Hey Guys!
I'd just like to add, I did communication units last year and thought they were really cool. If you're into learning about contemporary culture, then I'd really suggest them!
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)