communications/...... help please!!! :) (1 Viewer)

arls

We barely spent any time doing this topic, so we covered stuff in a rush and some of the dot points havent been covered properly...
could any1 give me a hand with these dot points.. i couldnt see them on other threads but tell me if somehtings already bin explained!

2) Students: use available evidence to suggest reasons for the differences in range of electromagnetic radiation detected by humans and other animals.

2) students learn to: identify the limited range of wavelengths of the electromagnetic spectrum detected by humans and compare this range with those of other vertebrates/invertebrates.

Ive only got stuff from excel.. like that humans cannot detect ultra violet light, and bees can.. is that enough? do i need more examples?

4) Students: process and analyse information from sec sources to describe and analyse the use of colour for communication in animals and relate this to the occurrence of colour vision in animals.

5) Perform a first hand investigation using stained prepared slides and/or electron micrographs to gather information about the structure of neurones and nerves.

thanks guys.. if you could just post some of your notes on these it would be MUCH appreciated! I know there's a lot, but unfortunately or teacher is shit.

Leap

free falling
HSC
Theres support material for Communication at the hienemann website, www.hi.com.au
And there are one or two full summaries of Communication in
the Biology general notes section of this website.

Ok, heres what I've got:
4) Students: process and analyse information from sec sources to describe and analyse the use of colour for communication in animals and relate this to the occurrence of colour vision in animals.
For animals, colour is an essential form of communication in breeding. It is used for
- recognition of members of the same species
- sexual maturity
- readiness to mate
Therefore it is essential for reproduction and survival of a species. Visual displays for mate attraction can often involve colour, e.g Male Satin Bowerbirds. It decorates its bower with brightly coloured objects, favouring blue, to attract the female.
Visual displays can be a warning mechanism to defend territory, e.g Male peacock displaying colourful feathers.
Colour is also used for recognition of food, i.e Bird-pollinated flowers are often red, green or yellow, the colours to which birds are sensitive. Flowers may also have ultraviolet markings to attract bees and birds.

Occurance of colour vision in animals:
Birds: Many Birds are able to distinguih colours in at least 4 different regions of the visible spectrum, therefore seeing a broader range of colours than humans. Recent studies have also suggsted they can see into the ultraviolet range. This UV sensitivity has been linked to use in aerial navigation.

Insects: Bees have 3 types of cones and are sensitive to green, blue and UV light.

Mammals: Other than primates, most mammals can detect blue and green, though whales and dolphins see red and green.

5) Perform a first hand investigation using stained prepared slides and/or electron micrographs to gather information about the structure of neurones and nerves.
A nerve is a bundle of neuronal fibres. The units which make up the nervous sytem are the nerve cells or neurones.
Structure: (Hard to desribe without a diagram)
There are basically 3 parts,
- The Cell body - contains the nucleus and forms the 'grey matter' of the central nervous system
- Dendrites - conduct nerve impulses towards the cell body
- Axon - conducts impulses away from the cell body.

arls

thankyou soo much... excel has none of this and i dont have a communications text... ill check up the heinemens site too! i didnt even know it existed!

arls

Originally posted by Leap
Theres support material for Communication at the hienemann website, www.hi.com.au
okay... i just tried the site and it said that i need to have the text book to access free support material.. i dont have the text book! if you do could u please give me the title of Section 7.4 on page 354 of Heinemann Biology... thats what the site requires to access communications stuff..
thankyou!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)