communications public relations (1 Viewer)

notsure

can somebody tell me a little about that?
where is the lowest cut - of mark ? which uni?

*Erika*

HSC
there's public communication at uts...lowest cut off this year was 92.8
there's also one at university of western sydney and uni of canberra....

i think UWS is around mid-80s and canberra is high 70s..

HSC
can't tell you anything about it, because i havent started it yet, but im doing it at CSU bathurst.

got in with a UAI in the high 80's, so the cutoff is probably around there.
dont be discouraged by the "extra criteria" either, because i know i was, but then it turns out its pretty easy stuff 2 do anyway eg 400-500 word essay, questionnaire etc.

Lou_86

pro procrastinator
HSC
yeah i got high eighties and the essays i wrote were fairly rushed..i did them in about an hour ahah then express posted it down to bathurst..

HSC
Lou_86 said:
yeah i got high eighties and the essays i wrote were fairly rushed..i did them in about an hour ahah then express posted it down to bathurst..
lol, thats exactly what i did too...

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
A lot of people in the PR industry have done commerce/business and majored in marketing instead of communications anyway, so it might be worth looking into that, that also allows for much broader employment opportunities in any case.

tractor_chic

HSC
N/A
the cut-off for communications @ uws was 70.05 this year down from 84.4 the year b4 looking @ the other courses i had considered this was the lowest cutt-off this year and i think it sounded like the most intresting. i cant tell u much about it though cuz i havent started and i havent decided if i will major in pr or advertising yet

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Soma said:
A lot of people in the PR industry have done commerce/business and majored in marketing instead of communications anyway, so it might be worth looking into that, that also allows for much broader employment opportunities in any case.
this is what i would do, i started in a communications degree and am now doing commerce lib studies @ usyd- i firmly believe its a lot more practical than a lot of the wanky subj's youll have to do in communication degrees, plus theres no 'glorified arts degree' stigma attached to commerce degrees when going into the workplace... like there is with communications.

HSC
spin spin sugar said:
this is what i would do, i started in a communications degree and am now doing commerce lib studies @ usyd- i firmly believe its a lot more practical than a lot of the wanky subj's youll have to do in communication degrees, plus theres no 'glorified arts degree' stigma attached to commerce degrees when going into the workplace... like there is with communications.
sure, i understand what ur saying.

however there is somthign important to remember here. i can understand that someone working in communications industry could quite easily have a degree from another faculty eg economics, business etc a journailst being a perfect example. I wouldnt hire someone simply because they had a journalism degree, i would expect them to have an interest in something else, or perhaps they want to be a specialty reporter on politics, business and so forth.

the difference with public relations is that its more of a vocational field, and as such it is more difficult to see the scope for a broad range of employment. certainly it exists, but not to the extent that you could expect to be an eminently employable PR wihtout a degree in which you actually studied PR.

bex

HSC
spin spin sugar said:
im confused as to what you think are wanky subjects?

HSC
spin spin sugar said:
i think that the communications degrees are generally quite practical... i know the ones offered at CSU and UTS require you to do an internship, as well as doing numerous hands on placements in second year. I have a friend doing Media and communications at USyd, and apparently they do a similar sort of thing. I'm just interested to know how you think classroom learning could be more practical than actual experience...

and, to echo bex, what exactly are the "wanky subj's" in communications degrees?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)