"Communism is the greatest evil unleashed on humanity" (1 Viewer)

HSC
Given that the Hobbies Christian thread had a huge argument about Trotskyism, Leninism, Marxism and Stalinism I thought it'd be good to bring all of these elements to the fore for a good old fashioned discussion of the evil of Communism.

Discuss.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
I agree completely youBROKEmyLIFE.

How evil is it to dangle in front of man the hopes of a truly humane society, knowing that it may never be achieved. Perhaps the greatest evil ever unleashed.

Many have lived their lives hoping for a world free from greed, free from oppression of the poor, free from enslavement of mankind in a system which seeks to exploit them, so that some may live a greater quality of life than others. Sometimes merely being born more fortunate than others, or sometimes much worse off.

The idea of a system where all man is truly equal, where each man and woman has the ability to have everything society has to offer, where every child has the same opportunities in life, where nobody has to go hungry, where nobody has to die the most painful death - the death of lack of food. Perhaps that idea is too good to be true. Perhaps that idea is even evil.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Silver Persian said:
Nah Sarah Palin is worse
I know right...
The idea of her being the VP/P is a scary ass thought.

HSC
sam04u said:
I agree completely youBROKEmyLIFE.

How evil is it to dangle in front of man the hopes of a truly humane society, knowing that it may never be achieved. Perhaps the greatest evil ever unleashed.

Many have lived their lives hoping for a world free from greed, free from oppression of the poor, free from enslavement of mankind in a system which seeks to exploit them, so that some may live a greater quality of life than others. Sometimes merely being born more fortunate than others, or sometimes much worse off.

The idea of a system where all man is truly equal, where each man and woman has the ability to have everything society has to offer, where every child has the same opportunities in life, where nobody has to go hungry, where nobody has to die the most painful death - the death of lack of food. Perhaps that idea is too good to be true. Perhaps that idea is even evil.
You've made the same mistake that the neoliberals make; you assume people are instinctually rational. If that was the case then why would anyone gamble?

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
youBROKEmyLIFE said:
You've made the same mistake that the neoliberals make; you assume people are instinctually rational. If that was the case then why would anyone gamble?
People are instinctually rational though. A gambler doesn't think "today I'll win", that's not why they gamble. They gamble because it's fun. The incentive of winning or losing money only adds to that enjoyment - there's a risk involved which some consider make it even more fun.

The problem with people being rational is that they don't neccessarily have to be altruistic. They can arrive at a different conclusion to others, usually to better or maintain their own lifestyles. What rational billionaire would say "You know what... I've got an idea. I'm going to give away half of my billions of dollars, without even being recognised as doing so (I'll be a number in a system and not considered to have contributed anything), because it'll make people I'll never meet happy." None. Which is why some people believe donations (where names can be added to honorary lists, etc) are favoured in some cases.

Contrary to what the idea would have you believe, it depends more on the poor and down trodden demanding a better quality of life, than the rich and comfortable being altruistic and deciding to give the poor a better quality of life. But both work.

HSC
sam04u said:
People are instinctually rational though. A gambler doesn't think "today I'll win", that's not why they gamble. They gamble because it's fun. The incentive of winning or losing money only adds to that enjoyment - there's a risk involved which some consider make it even more fun.

Hahahahahha have you ever gambled dude?

sthcross.dude

HSC
Kwayera said:
...What? No we're not.
Generally speaking we are.

Aren't you all about exalting free markets.

Free markets work because although individuals often behave irrationally, this behavior is random. In aggregate we expect a group of people to behave fairly rationally most of the time.

Of course this there are market failures, but you don't believe in that stuff right?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
hahaha

p.s. he's right u know, the rational economic man is as mythical a beast as the 'reasonable person' and far less useful.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
sthcross.dude said:
Generally speaking we are.

Aren't you all about exalting free markets.

Free markets work because although individuals often behave irrationally, this behavior is random. In aggregate we expect a group of people to behave fairly rationally most of the time.

Of course this there are market failures, but you don't believe in that stuff right?
I do not presume to admit to knowing anything about what you are talking about.

I do not believe humans, either in a group or as individuals, instinctually act "rationally" at all, if rationality can be either defined or called an "instinct".

Ragglebomb

HSC
Kwayera said:
I do not presume to admit to knowing anything about what you are talking about.

I do not believe humans, either in a group or as individuals, instinctually act "rationally" at all, if rationality can be either defined or called an "instinct".
lol so our first instinct is never rational in any situation?

um ok...

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Ragglebomb said:
lol so our first instinct is never rational in any situation?

um ok...
Not necessarily in ANY situation, but I don't think the difference would be statistically different from zero, no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)