Commutators (1 Viewer)

kate@bangas

"discuss the importance of the invention of the commutator for developing electric motors"-how does this question need to be answered?
is it just that the DC motors are more light and duravle, and can have a larger power output?? That all i got!!!!!!

HELP!!!!!!!!!:(

Jellymonsta

Look at a diagram of electric motors. If there were no commutators, things would be a mess. There are 3 reasons commutators are necessary. Without commutators:
1. Coil would distort, as there would be no rotating forces when the loop had turned 90 degrees.
2. Conducting wires would twist up around the axle.
3. If the coil did move through 180 degrees, it would then stop and rotate backwards along the same path.
Both split and slip ring commutators will fix these problems, so in relation to the question i think you could just make a general statement about why commutators are necessary for electric motors.

commutator allows dc and ac motors to be developed and functions. which lead to conviniences to industry productions and etc.
without the development of commutator, it is impossible for the coil to rotate in one direction or it would not be effective.

it enables the motor to spin at a80 degrees beacuse once the current reaches 90 degrees it is reverseb by the commutator ensuring a circular motion

i think

kate@bangas

what i was really worried about was "discuss the importance...", ie they could ask a six or seven mark question on the importance to society of the decelopment of the commutator....i asked my teaher the other day and he said that DC motors were the first, so beforethe commutator there were no motors.....?:rolleyes: :confused:

Jellymonsta

any type of electric motor would physically not work without commutators of some sort. so in effect the question is on the impact of electric motors. you could write a thesis about the impact of motors/electricity.
the importance of the commutator is in enabling a motor to work... so discuss what a commutator does (listed above), and why it is necessary for the motor to function as a motor.
i dont see the question as being particular to DC motors at all...

spice girl

magic mirror
Not really ALL motors, just DC (and AC/DC universal motors).

Well, in the 19th century, they only had DC electricity (from voltaic piles), so having a commutator allowed development for motors. Motors make machines, and machines were very productive. It allowed western civilisation to industralise, but with it came pollution, urbanisation, etc.

Crap like that.

superhubert

half way between the gutter and the stars
sorry to be an asswipe.....but we've been told to prepare and rehash an answer on the importance of physics and space exploration in general. specifically a 8 mark question like
"justify huge amounts of money and resouces being spent on space exploration while millions of people starve...." has anyone else prepared an answer for something like this? cause i'm finding it hard to word NASA doesn't give a damn.....:D

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Originally posted by superhubert
sorry to be an asswipe.....but we've been told to prepare and rehash an answer on the importance of physics and space exploration in general. specifically a 8 mark question like
"justify huge amounts of money and resouces being spent on space exploration while millions of people starve...." has anyone else prepared an answer for something like this? cause i'm finding it hard to word NASA doesn't give a damn.....:D
Really? We haven't been told to prepare an answer for that... I've got a hypothesis that won''t sit well with ANY marker... :D
NASA doesn't give a damn, the US government doesn't give a damn, haven't you noticed? The QLD corporations waste millions of bananas (dump them into the sea or something) to control market prices; America stores tonnes of surplus grain, which lie unused... we can't seems to give food we can't eat, much less moeny. :p
Besides, they're out to prove the existance of life elsewhere in the solar system, or anywhere... they have to and they know it. Who's got time for little people?

But I digress. :D

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by BlackJack

Really? We haven't been told to prepare an answer for that... I've got a hypothesis that won''t sit well with ANY marker... :D
NASA doesn't give a damn, the US government doesn't give a damn, haven't you noticed? The QLD corporations waste millions of bananas (dump them into the sea or something) to control market prices; America stores tonnes of surplus grain, which lie unused... we can't seems to give food we can't eat, much less moeny. :p
Besides, they're out to prove the existance of life elsewhere in the solar system, or anywhere... they have to and they know it. Who's got time for little people?

But I digress. :D
Ahh politics ...

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by superhubert
with the lack of anything in thired world countries there's probably no pollution.....they might be able to see the lauches from mexico....'O, say can you see?"
............god bless america................:D
Nice ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)