COMP electives (1 Viewer)

rand0m3r

HSC
hey, if you have done any of the subjects in the following list, could you briefly provide me with some info on a few things: heavy/light workload? good/bad lecturer? interesting/boring subject? easy/hard subject?

COMP3331 networks
COMP9318 data mining & warehousing
COMP3711 software project management
COMP3511 human computer interaction
COMP4511 GUI design
COMP3421 computer graphics
COMP3441 cryptography
COMP4001 O-O
COMP4003 industrial software development
COMP3120 introduction to algorithms

thanks a bunch!

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Why do most comp subjects have to be on at night? >:/

Definitely going to take 3331, 3511 and 3441 at some stage.

rand0m3r

HSC
are u going to do 4511 aswell? its the main reason i'm doing 3511, coz it's a pre-req of 4511. 3411 is enticing, especially since its taken by richard aswell BUT 7 contact hrs a wk might be a little too much for me.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
rand0m3r said:
are u going to do 4511 aswell? its the main reason i'm doing 3511, coz it's a pre-req of 4511. 3411 is enticing, especially since its taken by richard aswell BUT 7 contact hrs a wk might be a little too much for me.
Not really, i guess if i like it though ill go onto 4511. But yeah crypto is the one im definitely doing, its been my aim since first year.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Why is an Honours subject offered in Summer Session AND normal session? That's a lot of offerings for Honours.

rand0m3r

HSC
are you referring to COMP4001? i believe it is for undergrads and postgrads. and nothing says COMP4001 will be offered this summer. it's just whichever lecturer is free over summer, then they'll offer the course he takes.

rand0m3r

HSC
wow you've just gone thru my whole list of potential electives and put a red mark next to them. what is the survey you are referring to?

and is there any justification to the pieces of shit you have just referred to?

i can't see myself doing operating systems/robotics... i'm interested in operating systems, but only in terms of using them like windows/linux/mac os x. i'm not so much interested in the deep technical kernel sort of stuff.

i don't wanna design games either. i prefer to do subjects that i can score well for getting things correct rather than leave my piece of work up for subjective scrutiny. and i would really like to do software construction... unfortunately, it's a 2nd yr subject, and all my electives are for 3rd and 4th yr subjects.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Agree COMP2041, the most practical course, you learn things which you will actually use in the real world.

rand0m3r

HSC
unfortunately in a comm/soft eng degree, it is quite inflexible... i mean, i can't even fulfil the requirements of a CA (for accounting) within this degree. sometimes i regret transferring from commerce/comp sci...

ace

is retired
HSC
rand0m3r said:
unfortunately in a comm/soft eng degree, it is quite inflexible... i mean, i can't even fulfil the requirements of a CA (for accounting) within this degree. sometimes i regret transferring from commerce/comp sci...
If you overload alot, you can fufill the CA requirements.

Or just keep doing courses all but 1 core subject (in the specific degrees) and stay in uni as long as you need to get the courses for CA requirements. Obviously this is not very moral to the university and you may end up being at UNSW for another semester, but given the Universities unscrupulous recent charging of fees in semester 2, do whatever benefits you.

ace

is retired
HSC
Randomer,

COMP3711 REALLY SHIT, STUPID WASTE OF A COURSE, COMPLETE AND UTTERLY USELESS
COMP3421 can be interesting I hear
COMP3441 richard, need I say more
COMP4001 very poorly run course I heard
COMP4003 if you do seng, no point in doing this, since it will be similar to SENG3010+COMP3141 (Otherwise fine course in pursing, the topics presented are different to what you'd normally encounter)
COMP3120 If you want easy marks do this course in S1

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
COMP3711 score : -10
COMP3421 score : 8
COMP3441 score : possibly 9 or 10
COMP4001, COMP4003 : 4001 was supposedly really crap, so maybe you can do 4003 (supposeldy a comp3141 variant) instead. You get to learn a lot more about stuff..
COMP2711 score : -666
COMP3131 score : 7, not a bad course

gman03

HSC
underthesun said:
COMP3131 score : 7, not a bad course
hahahahaha

haha

hahaha

I will be doing that next session, let see how many times I will fall asleep :)

rand0m3r

HSC
wow so much negativity for 3711... is it at least EASY and LIGHT? and what do you think of doing 3141 and 4003 together? i mean, i need to overload, i might aswell do it with 2 courses that overlap...

also, 3120 isn't offered in s1.

Last edited:

ace

is retired
HSC
rand0m3r said:
wow so much negativity for 3711... is it at least EASY and LIGHT? and what do you think of doing 3141 and 4003 together? i mean, i need to overload, i might aswell do it with 2 courses that overlap...

also, 3120 isn't offered in s1.
you do seng,
so doing COMP4003 and COMP3141 for you is pointless in the same session or in any state

the overlap will be rediculous and you'll waste an elective, obviously you want easy marks, there are easier courses out there than comp4003 (remember comp4xxx = 4times as weight in cse wam also)

3711 is a joke of a course, it is easy and quite stupid, also it is core, no point in talking about it anymore, since the fact of the matter is, even if you wanted to get out of it you can't.

I've said 3511 is shit, it is, but if your sole intention is looking for easy courses, does shit pursuade you not to do a course?...

my 2 cents, don't pick every course for a reputation it might have as being "easy", because at the end of it, what will you have learnt

cheers

rand0m3r

HSC
i think u've gotten me wrong. i'm not looking for "easy" courses. i'm doing 3511 only coz i want to do 4511, which is interesting to me. also, i need to do a 27 UOC session. this session i tried it with COMP2111 and COMP2121, boy was it bad timing. i ended dropping 2121 after the census date (coz my partner left me to go overseas on 2 separate occasions, among other disruptions), needing to fill out a form, it caused a lot of stress. and what i learnt from that was that if i were to ever overload again, it'd definitely have to be with some easier courses.

and to demonstrate i'm not taking the easiest option, i'm doing comp3331 instead of infs2607.

but still, i'd like to know why courses r shit. most of you are just saying its shit without any justification. what is exactly wrong with 3511 that makes some ppl rate it as the worst COMP course?

Last edited:

ace

is retired
HSC
Btw, did you do SENG2010 this session, or do you need to do SENG1031 still?

rand0m3r said:
and to demonstrate i'm not taking the easiest option, i'm doing comp3331 instead of infs2607.
If you do this, remember for BCom you will still have to do 2 6uoc 3/4xxx courses in INFS. (There are no longer any 3uoc infs courses, assuming here you did INFS1611). Does INFS generally degrade your CSE wam or boost it? Think about that in this case, minimise the loss by doing INFS2607 a lesser of two evils (INFS2x vs INFS3x). This is because SENG electives must be 3x/4x courses only. Also INFS2607 will fufill the core requirement for SENG at the same time. Or you could do both courses and view COMP3331 as a SENG elective, and then you'd just have 1 6uoc 3x/4xxx INFS course left to do.

rand0m3r said:
but still, i'd like to know why courses r shit. most of you are just saying its shit without any justification. what is exactly wrong with 3511 that makes some ppl rate it as the worst COMP course?
I'll let zagadka answer that one for you, hes done it.

Last edited:

rand0m3r

HSC
well ken robinson just said COMP3711 is now INFS4848. we still enrol in COMP3711, but classes run with INFS4848 and it should be considered as an INFS core. that leaves me with only a 6 UOC INFS to worry about. I guess the decision now is either INFS2607 or INFS3608.

INFS has been a mixed bag for me. INFS1611 was the lowest mark i got last session, but i didn't even find it difficult. it was the stupid lecturer, lesley land, not giving out any spec to the assignments and when we submitted ours she complained we didn't do this, we didn't do that. INFS1603 on the other hand, also taken by lesley, was so easy it was funny. and now INFS2603 with aybuke, i feel like i'm going back to INFS1611 with lesley. she doesn't seem to have any clue about anything... but INFS3608 is advanced database systems, i might like it.

but this COMP3711-to-INFS4848 change basically opens up another 4th yr COMP elective for me. i seem to be having a harder time trying to find an interesting 4th yr course than 3rd yr.

oh also, i forgot to include in my original list artificial intelligence. what do you guys think of that course? i did a bit of AI in comp1a when we had to write a cluedo engine and then an AI player for it. that is still the best assignment i've ever done. i was actually happy to stay up to 2 or 3am every night trying to refine my AI player :)

rand0m3r

HSC
my friend said the reason why ppl hate 3511 so much is becoz it is different to all the other COMP courses where do you hardcore hacky shit. this one is more about design theory and usability.

the main reason why i wanna do GUI design is becoz we haven't even been taught at uni how to make GUIs for our C/Java assignments, let alone usable GUIs. so 4511 will be useful. i know you might say you can learn it in your own time, but i might aswell do something and also get marks for it.

so has anyone done AI? what really put me off was the way the lecturer calculates your final mark. all the hard work u put in for the assignments could be undone if you choke in the final. i mean, he could put some obscure stuff in the final paper and u're stuffed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)