comp115 assignment 3 (1 Viewer)

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
ok this is the weirdest problem. I am using a getline function to count the number of students in a certain file:

int n;
while(!inFile.eof())
{
getline(inFile, myString);
n++;
}

which is simple enough right, ill get a value for n which i can use throughout the whole program, well apparently not.

HOwever, if instead of using this function, i just set the value of n to be the number(which i know for this certain file) like instead of the thing above, i just write:

int n=40;

then the program works

W T F......... srsly, its like exactly the same thing yet only one way works and i cant use that way for all input files.

can anyone tell me why????????????????

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Try putting a line inside the loop that prints out what the number is each time the loop executes, it may show you were the problem is occurring ;)

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
yes ... doing it in array ........ acmilan, already done, it showed that the loop works out the correct numbers every time and when i put this loop in /*..*/ and store the values manually ie : int n = watever then the program works perfectly

^___^
HSC
if you are doing it in arrray
it is a rule that you HAVE to define the array size before you start using it

Mini

relax
HSC
kunny funt said:
ok this is the weirdest problem. I am using a getline function to count the number of students in a certain file:

int n;
while(!inFile.eof())
{
getline(inFile, myString);
n++;
}

can anyone tell me why????????????????
u didn't initialise n

this should work:

int n=0;
while(!inFile.eof())
... etc etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)