COMP1911 vs COMP1917 - Maths Major (1 Viewer)

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Hey BoS,

I have to pick one of these 2 subjects as a level 1 science elective and I'm not sure which one to pick.

I've gone through a billion threads, and I still don't have an answer to this question. The timetable for both in terms of days/times of days for lectures and tutes is the same, so it's all cool on that perspective.

My question is, having no prior programming experience, but an interest in learning at least basic computing, but I'm not really sure how good I'll be at computing or problem solving. In addition, I'm pretty good at maths, and I'm doing pretty fine in MATH1151 so far.

I've heard 1911 is easier, and I'm pretty lazy and laidback (haven't done much work at all), but would it be very hard for me to keep up with 1917 if I tried to put in solid effort?

In addition, the lecturers for the two courses are Dr A Mahidadia for COMP1911, and Dr AD Blair for COMP1917 (no Buckland or whatever his name is).

What is the difference between the two, and is it that much harder to do 1917?

eye ov azazel

Dismembered Member
HSC
N/A
1917 is for people who have programming experience.

i had zero programming experience and i scraped a pass in comp1911 (but that's just me, i didnt get coding and i hated it).

if you have zero experience (havnt touched C or visual basic or ANYTHING like me) 1911 would be the safe option.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah do 1911, I had Mahidadia for 1811, reckon he's pretty good although only the curryians could understand him clearly.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
What about the lecturers for these two? Any opinions? How difficult is 1911 for someone who has never programmed?

eye ov azazel

Dismembered Member
HSC
N/A
i found it quite difficult (combination of no past experience and no enjoyment of coding) and i was lucky to have smart group members for my last assignment, lol.

seriously if you've never programmed before with anything whatsoever, dont even consider 1917.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I've used matlab with varying degrees of success (considering no formal education and retardedly easy examples). If I am actually taught how to do stuff that goes beyond absolute basic before I am asked questions I'm genereally fine. Matlab Lab tests are not an example of that. I learnt that by studying the scripts and language because there were not enough examples.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
1911 shouldn't be too hard for you. But you'll still need to put the time into it.
I had the same lecturer for 1911, he's pretty good. Explains everything.

NMK

HSC
You can do fine in COMP1917 without prior programming experience, it's dependant on the person. If you're finding it's too difficult into the semester, you can always drop down after the first few weeks.

I've definitely heard good things about Alain Blair. As a maths major, you might be interested to know that he was a mathematician in university, studying it up to the doctorate level.

twistedrebel

HSC
comp1917 is very doable without any experience just do the work and go lectures. Most people in 1917 have no experience or very little. Programming aint hard just the logic/problem solving is the biggest bitch. The plus side of 1917 is that its equal to 1911+1921.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)