COMP2011/2711 Students Represent! (1 Viewer)

doingHSC

HSC
pyko said:
out of curiosity..you seem to be certain to recommend me COMP2041 coz i'm not a Comp-Sci...any particular reason?
its better to do 2011 (for comp sci), so u can start 3rd courses earlier if u wish + get it over and done with this course :)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Screwed for 2011/2711, especially 2711 part. Any tips on how specific questions get? eg. will they ask us to reproduce any algorithms or is it more applying the algorithms?

gman03

HSC
pyko said:
out of curiosity..you seem to be certain to recommend me COMP2041 coz i'm not a Comp-Sci...any particular reason?
For Comp Sci people, they must do data structure because it is required in level 3 course

In COMP2041, they teach you scripting (e.g. Shell Scripting, Perl Scripting, XMLs if you have geoffw). If you master scripting, you could save yourself a lot of time by automating your computer to do mail merge, produce report, have interactive web pages, information collaboration etc which brings useful applications.

You will find these techniques coinvenient to have (as oppose to say Java hacking)

gman03

HSC
acmilan said:
Screwed for 2011/2711, especially 2711 part. Any tips on how specific questions get? eg. will they ask us to reproduce any algorithms or is it more applying the algorithms?
Well, I would say there will be plenty of questions on huffman trees. Algorithm of how splaying works etc could be in it I guess.

Back last session, we had many questions on quicksorts. Variant of quicksorts and optimisation of the algorithm (by using RaNdOmIsAtIoN)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
gman03 said:
Well, I would say there will be plenty of questions on huffman trees. Algorithm of how splaying works etc could be in it I guess.

Back last session, we had many questions on quicksorts. Variant of quicksorts and optimisation of the algorithm (by using RaNdOmIsAtIoN)
Hmm huffman and splaying would be good, our whole second assignment was on that. Oh well, ive decided im not going to try learn anything in huge detail, just learn the fundamentals and take the questions as they come.

gman03

HSC
Does your lecturer do much on Java? I recall Andrew T, our Java lecturer last year, made some weird inheritance codes for us to "interpret" them on the spot. Weird shits.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
gman03 said:
Does your lecturer do much on Java? I recall Andrew T, our Java lecturer last year, made some weird inheritance codes for us to "interpret" them on the spot. Weird shits.
Nah, there wasnt much java at all other than the assignments.

rand0m3r

HSC
yeah i'm feeling a bit nervy too acmilan, don't worry you'll be fine.

the only thing i completely have no idea about is the KMP algo. the graphs stuff i can do intuitively, hope they don't ask me to write it out in java. and most of the splay/avl/huffman stuff is pretty easy.

gman03

HSC
Don't expect they will ask you to recite an algo, chances are they will ask you how a different implementation of huffman works or perform an analysis etc....

rand0m3r

HSC
hmmm yeah i don't like all those complexity analysis comparison stuff... better memorise some complexities now.

pyko

psychopyko.com
HSC
just to answer my own ques about the "stop further enrollment" for comp2041 if anyone else was wondering...it's coz the lecturer might change (so the lecture times might change as well) which means they can't accept any more ppl for now incase ppl enrol now, and the times change and cause clashes...i was told enrollment should be re-allowed in about a weeks time.

edit: it seems like enrollment has been allowed again...cept now the Tues Lecture has moved to friday ><" there goes my plan for a long weekend next session

Last edited:

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
pyko said:
edit: it seems like enrollment has been allowed again...cept now the Tues Lecture has moved to friday ><" there goes my plan for a long weekend next session
Can't take another day off by shuffling courses off of it?

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Well the exam wasnt too bad, the 2711 question on amortized complexity I found hard though.

pyko

psychopyko.com
HSC
MedNez said:
Can't take another day off by shuffling courses off of it?
unfortunately no :(
one of my core subs has Lectures on Mon...and tuts are only offered on Weds...
and the other sub is similar cept...Lectures on Tues and tut on Thurs
so with only one lecture stream....and tuts being on diff times but same day no matter how much shuffling Mon~Thu all taken up *sigh*

Green Machine

software engineer
HSC
LOL this was the worst subect ever. it gave some super scaling though. didnt even do the last 2 assignments, had no idea, but somehow got 67 overall?? even B method was better. although 2011 may have had a more practical purpose

grimreaper

HSC
Green Machine said:
LOL this was the worst subect ever. it gave some super scaling though. didnt even do the last 2 assignments, had no idea, but somehow got 67 overall?? even B method was better. although 2011 may have had a more practical purpose
There was no scaling I'm pretty sure - you must have done well on the exam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)