Completed B.Com(finance), want to move into advertising/marketing? (1 Viewer)

kosmo

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

Quick rundown of my situation, and I hope you guys can then point me in the right direction:

-Just completed a b.com(finance) degree but realised that im more interested in marketing and advertising.

- In my first year I got horrible marks full of fail in the core intro units, because I wasn't interested at all and didnt attend uni or exams due to some personal circumstances... even got a 3/100 in a unit! Has to be some a record lol :hammer:

- Took some time off and went back into my b.com course and from then on averaged a distinction in penultimate and a high distinction in my final year, but due to my first year marks I only just have a credit average (not fair normally the 1st yr units are meant to drag up the avg!!)

- I realised during my second last semester that I was more interested in marketing and advertising and went and sat in on some lectures with my friend but decided to continue and finish off my finance degree because I was almost done and getting pretty good marks.

- Soooo now i want to pursue a degree, possibly postgrad in marketing or advertising and wondering what would be the best route, hopefully to become a brand manager or an advertising account manager?

Some courses which I can see:

-Master of Communication (advertising) @ RMIT
-Master of Business (Marketing) @ UTS
-Bachelor of Communication (Public Comm with Advertising Major) @ UTS
-Ive heard CSU have a good program but not really interested in moving to bathurst.
-Masters of Management(Marketing) @ Melbourne Uni
-Master of Marketing @ UWA
-Master of Public Relations and Advertising @UNSW

So which would be the best way forward, an undergrad degree in the discipline or a masters? Willing to travel to syd or melb or perth.

Thanks in advance
P.S sorry about the essay :drink:

Last edited:
HSC
wouldn't you have had to repeat those core units to get your degree?

also if you're doing a masters, wouldn't you have to do it in the subject you majored in? at uts for example i was looking into doing an extra year for honours but it had to be in one of your majors, wouldn't honours be the same?

sorry not that helpful but i'm interested in marketing too so i wanna see what type of replies you'll get.

kosmo

HSC
N/A
Yeh had to do the units again, it wasnt until i moved into my major that i started getting good marks.

To do honours you have to do it from the same degree, but masters you generally just have to have a bachelors degree with a credit average, depending on the university involved. Its normally for people already working, who want to change career paths or people like me who want to pursue a different area of study that interests them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)