complex factorising qn (1 Viewer)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
1669513130993.png
1669513147678.png
i approached the qn in a way that was wrong, though i don't understand what they're doing here, can someone explain please? thanks in advance

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
In layman’s terms. Factorise z^5+1 into quadratics that cannot be simplified further and that the coefficients of z are real. The general factoring form of something to the power of 5 is given in the first line. From part 1 you’ve solved for the roots which can easily be subbed in. They’ve now grouped each factor together so that when u expand it, the isin gets canceled out and you’re left with a real coefficient of cos. Then you can stop after expanding.

ImagineDragin

HSC
In layman’s terms. Factorise z^5+1 into quadratics that cannot be simplified further and that the coefficients of z are real. The general factoring form of something to the power of 5 is given in the first line. From part 1 you’ve solved for the roots which can easily be subbed in. They’ve now grouped each factor together so that when u expand it, the isin gets canceled out and you’re left with a real coefficient of cos. Then you can stop after expanding.
How do you figure out which z to group together to cancel out the i? So say your in an exam, how would you figure it out?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
when putting in the roots i just discern that they're a difference of two squares then solve from there, right? because the roots are conjugates of each other i can do z^2 - 2zRe(root) + 1 ?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Another way of looking at the situation is that the equation z^5 - 1 = 0 has 5 roots, a, b, c, d and e say.
In this case z^5 - 1 = (z-a)(z-b)(z-c)(z-d)(z-e). For z^5 - 1 = 0, we have 5 roots, one real and the other 4 being complex.
Since z^5 - 1 = 0 is a polynomial eqn with real coefficients, complex roots must occur in conjugate pairs.

= (1 real linear factor) x (1 real quadratic factor) x (1 real quadratic factor)

Oh dear, I got the wrong equation: z^5 - 1 = 0 instead of z^5 + 1 = 0. Should have gone to Specsavers!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)