Complex inequalities (1 Viewer)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
justchillin said:
When they get u 2 graph inequalities, do u guyz make the axis dotted...I like to do this because technically if its outside the inequality the axis shoudnt be filled, but some books, like my HSC one with answers in it, stil keeps the lines filled in. What do u rekon?
Do you dot your axes when you graph y=x<sup>2</sup>?

justchillin

HSC
When they get u 2 graph inequalities, do u guyz make the axis dotted...I like to do this because technically if its outside the inequality the axis shoudnt be filled, but some books, like my HSC one with answers in it, stil keeps the lines filled in. What do u rekon?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Don't be silly. They're looking to give you marks in those questions, not dock them.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
justchillin said:
???

if y>x^2
(dotted axis)

if y >=x^2
(line)

??
and everywere else dotted...

right..? THats how i've already done it

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
You cant use pencil/red pen in the exam. Blue and black is your only option

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
In some subjects you can use pencil for diagrams, but not for maths. It'd say at the front if you could use pencil

HSC
Slide Rule's got it right. Do it if it makes you happy, you won't lose a mark if you don't.
*this post was written after Juschillin's below*

justchillin

HSC
Chemistry like you to use pencils for drawing experiment diagrams. But yeah...for maths I just use the one coloured pen. But no-one has answered my question? Do u keep the axis dotted...obviously when u draw y=x^2 u keep them shaded because there is no region, but when they specify a region, I still rekon u must dot the axis???

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Well, so far I havn't dotted my axes for any complex questions on my school assessment papers and I havn't been marked down for it. As you mentioned most textbooks don't dot them either. Basically I don't think they're expecting you to do that. You could if you wanted to go the extra mile but I don't think that it's required.

Check out the markers comments for the past few years at:
( http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/index.html )

I'm pretty sure you won't find comment of dotted axes (which I expect you would if it were required since so many people don't do it :p). I'd actually hesitate in doing it myself since so few people do it and a late night marker might get weirded out and think you're doing something strange.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
justchillin said:
Chemistry like you to use pencils for drawing experiment diagrams. But yeah...for maths I just use the one coloured pen. But no-one has answered my question? Do u keep the axis dotted...obviously when u draw y=x^2 u keep them shaded because there is no region, but when they specify a region, I still rekon u must dot the axis???

i swear the answers do what im thinking of...

can you draw examples? :s

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)