complex nos n curve sketching (1 Viewer)

totallybord

HSC
hi,
a bunch of qs for u to answer anyone:
1) complex nos: if u have
x=(plus minus sign) 2 and y= (plus minus sign) 3i why r the answers just 2 + 3i and 2 - 3i? what happens to -2+3i and 2-3i?
2) is the only differnece btwn 1/f(x) and f^-1(X) is that the first one is reciprocal and the last one is inverse and they r not the same rite?
3) why is y=|x-1| -|x+1| sketched by adding the y-values but y=|x+2| - |x+1| u have to minus ?
4) what absolute values r 90 degrees? and what kind of operations make it a curvy curve?
5) how come some graphs pass the asymptotes? do u just have to test x ->(plus and minus) infinity?
thank uuu

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I cannot comprehend what you're askign with the final 3 questions, terms like "curvy curve" don't help me understand what you're asking.

I can onyl help on the first one -
1) you need to give us the equation or question itself, you can't just give us x/y values and ask why its +x and -y and not +x and +y. Give us the whole question.
If that's too much of a hassle, check your simultaneous equations to obtain your x/y values. If 2xy = positive number, your overall z will be +x and +y or -x and -y (++ = positive, - and - = positive).
2) although I haven't done graphs completely, 1/f(x) and f^-1(X) are completely different graphs. f^-1(X) is ivnerse, a reflection in the y = x graph, i forgot what the recipricol does for a graph.
3) no idea what you're asking.
4) no idea what you're asking.
5) some graphs pass the assymptope and the only way you'll know is by finding out staionary points and inflection points and with the added information, you should be able to find out. oterhwise, jsut test points on the graph and see if its possible for it to cut the assymtope, i struggled with this alot as well.

Next time, please type in full words (although spelling isn't 100% required, it does help) and try to word it better.

tambourine

HSC
Ok im not sure if this is going to help.

1) You always pick the positive x value (x+iy) or (x-iy)...not (-x+iy) or (-x-iy).
2)I don't think they're the same graph..from what i understand..the first is 1/f(x) while the second is (x)/f...because of the ^-1.
3)I'm not sure..but what I do is sub values in for x and plot it..I know it takes longer but if anyone can help us with that that would be great.
4)Do you mean exact values? Like cos 90 =0, sin 90 =1? I don't know what you mean by curvy curve.
5)Some graphs do pass the assymptotes but I'm not sure why..probably because its not undefined at that point and that it doesn't have a vertical tangent..but I'm not sure.

Hope that helps. I'm confused about curve sketching too.

ecstasylove

HSC
totallybord said:
hi,
a bunch of qs for u to answer anyone:
1) complex nos: if u have
x=(plus minus sign) 2 and y= (plus minus sign) 3i why r the answers just 2 + 3i and 2 - 3i? what happens to -2+3i and 2-3i?
2) is the only differnece btwn 1/f(x) and f^-1(X) is that the first one is reciprocal and the last one is inverse and they r not the same rite?
3) why is y=|x-1| -|x+1| sketched by adding the y-values but y=|x+2| - |x+1| u have to minus ?
4) what absolute values r 90 degrees? and what kind of operations make it a curvy curve?
5) how come some graphs pass the asymptotes? do u just have to test x ->(plus and minus) infinity?
thank uuu
i have no idea what you are asking in most of your questions.

5. graphs can pass horizontal asymptotes once and only once. is that what you mean?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)