Complex Number Q (1 Viewer)

Vampire

KOLLARZUP!!
HSC
Hey guys, I think this is a pretty generic sort of question but I couldn't figure it out...any ideas?

Show that if z satisfies the equation (z-i)^13 = (z+i)^13, then z must be real.

Thx

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Just an idea, but maybe you could prove it by contradiction. We would assume that z satisifies the equation when z is imaginary. Let z=ai, where "a" is real.

Then, (ai-i)13=(ai+i)13
[i(a-1)]13=[i(a+1)]13
i(a-1)13=i(a+1)13, since i13=i
a-1=a+1
.'. no solutions when z=ai, where "a" is real.

Hence "a" must be imaginary, meaning z is real.

Just having a stab at it... does that work?

Last edited:

Gowr

HSC
hmmm... that is tentative at best considering that you haven't considered the case where z=a+ib

It seems that there is a much simpler solution....

as (z+i)^13=(z-i)^13
|(z+i)^13| = |(z-i))^13|

Just take the 13th roots of both sides (no reason you cant do that), and get |z+i| = |z-i|, the solution of that being quite obviously any point on the real axis

Last edited:

Gowr

HSC
My opinion isn't valued... :burn:

But quite seriously, this method does work. The equivalence of modulii is a perfectly sound method. I mean, consider this on the argand plane. If (z+i)^13=(z-i)^13, then z+i and z-i obviously have to have the same modulus, or if you take them to the power of 13 they will quite clearly be different, and for them to have the same modulus they obviously must lie on the perpendicular bisector of the segment joining (0,1) and (0,-1), that is the real axis.

It can be seen that, as expected, there are 13 solutions to this, that is where 1/z = tan n*pi/13 for n= 0 to 12 noting that z is real, which is what you would expect for a polynomial of degree 13

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Gowr said:
Just take the 13th roots of both sides (no reason you cant do that), and get |z+i| = |z-i|, the solution of that being quite obviously any point on the real axis
Very clever... I like that method. :)

I

icycloud

Vampire said:
Hmmm...I'd like to see icycloud's opinion on this too if you're there...thx
Wow I'm so flustered *blushes* Many of the people who have replied to this thread are the same level or better than me at Maths, so you can safely trust their answers :) But anyway I agree that Gowr's method does work and is a good way for doing this question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)