Complex Number Question (1 Viewer)

amdspotter

HSC
1634712144678.png
If someone could assist me in how to do these two questions that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

notme123

HSC
Some sort of explanation for whats occuring/ what the solution did in line 1 would be helpful. Also thanks mate
if you manipulate the numerator so it matches the denominator, you must also undo it to not change the question/identity its asking e.g. if you minus i you must also + i to cancel out and keep the q the same. he then simplifies and says if what he got is the same as the original thing that is given then since the numerator is real, for the fraction to be real, the denomiator must also be real, hence so is the fraction with z.

for 15 divide both sides by the lhs and convert z to rcis(t) and zbar to rcis(-t). in the end you should get cis(4t) = 1 to which the solutions are cos(4t)=1 or in other words, 4t=0,2pi,-2pi,4pi,-4pi
therefore the only values t can have are t = k(pi/2) where k is an integer including 0. this means z can only be real or only imaginary

Last edited:

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC

By null factor law, a = 0 or b = 0

If a = 0, and is purely imaginary
If b = 0, and is purely real
unrelated and don't do 4u myself, but that signature slaps hard

Gotta get out of here

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I think, with q14, what they are expecting is for you to put into , as in

So, is undefined if and is real so long as is 0 or purely imaginary.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
For q 15, you can assume that (the result is trivially true if ) and then use:

amdspotter

HSC
Just opened bos and saw many answers. Thanks a lot @CM_Tutor @yanujw really appreciate it. And yep through how U guys have explained it I understand it now, thx once again

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
View attachment 32846
If someone could assist me in how to do these two questions that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Alternatively you could say for 14) that because z/(z-i) is real,

You could then argue that the above equality is only true if z does NOT have a real part, or of course if it's 0.

amdspotter

HSC
Alternatively you could say for 14) that because z/(z-i) is real,

You could then argue that the above equality is only true if z does NOT have a real part, or of course if it's 0.
Ah ok this makes sense, thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)