Complex Number Question (1 Viewer)

let.me.die

HSC
hi.. i just started complex numbers and i was wondering if someone could help me with some questions.
The points P and Q are represented by the complex numbers z = 1-3i and w = -3+4i respectively. FInd a point R on the real azis such that PRQ is a right-angled triangle.

Porcia

HSC
no bloody idea, actually i'd like to find out too... seems like we're doing same question

Raginsheep

HSC
Umm...let z be represented by P(1,-3) and w by Q(-3,4). Call R (x,0).

Use gradient formula to find gradient of PR and QR. Gradient PR x Gradient QR = -1. Then, solve for x.

let.me.die

HSC
thanx. i was wondering if i could just use co-ordinate geometry to find the answer. i got other questions if someone wouldnt mind answering them..
1. If |z| = |w|, prove that (z+w)/(z-w) is purely imaginary. By drawing a suitable diagram, give a geometrical interpretation of the result.

2. Prove that for any two complex numbers z1 and z2 |z1 + z2| more than or equal to |z1| - |z2|, assuming |z1| > |z2|. When does the equality sign hold?

Raginsheep

HSC
1. Multiply top and bottom by the conjugate of (z-w). The bottom becomes |z-w|^2 which is real.

For the top, its (z+w)(z-w). Assume the underline means conjugate.
(z+w)(z-w)
=(z+w)(z-w)
=zz-ww-zw+zw
=|z|^2-|w|^2-zw+zw
But, |z|=|w|
=zw-zw
let z=(x1, y1), w=(x2, y2) and sub in.
Now expand and simplify and the real terms should disappear leaving only the imaginary.

Since top is imaginay and bottom is real, the whole thing is imaginary.

robbo_145

HSC
let.me.die said:
thanx. i was wondering if i could just use co-ordinate geometry to find the answer. i got other questions if someone wouldnt mind answering them..
1. If |z| = |w|, prove that (z+w)/(z-w) is purely imaginary. By drawing a suitable diagram, give a geometrical interpretation of the result.
drawing a diagram it can be seen that z+w and z-w are the diagonals of a rhombus of sides, hence they cross at right angles
i assume you've done De Moivre's thereom

let z+w = rCisΘ
z-w= qCis(Θ-π/2) //q,r are real
(z+w)/(z-w)= r/qCis(Θ-(Θ-π/2)) by De Moivre
(z+w)/(z-w) = r/qCis(π/2) which is purely imaginary

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)