Complex numbers - region question (1 Viewer)

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
Sketch the region in the complex plane where the two inequalities

|z + i + 1| ≤ 3 and pi/4 ≤ arg (z + i + 1) ≤ 3pi/4 both hold.

If anyone could even describe the region, it would be much appreciated. :)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
First is circle centre -1-i radius 3, the other is like a sector of a circle not bounded by a circle - i.e. it doesn't end. Or, you could say it's the bit between two rays. It's easier to say that. Hmm.

Note that the point -1-i is NOT a part of the subset.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Eh - scuse the 'circle'. It's hard drawing on the screen when it's in desktop mode.

Sepulchres

t3h sultan
HSC
Slide Rule said:
First is circle centre -1-i radius 3, the other is like a sector of a circle not bounded by a circle - i.e. it doesn't end. Or, you could say it's the bit between two rays. It's easier to say that. Hmm.

Note that the point -1-i is NOT a part of the subset.
[The part in bold] What exactly do you mean by that? If the modulus is less than 3 is it not bounded by the circle?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
An area enclosed by two arguments will be like a sector of a circle, but the circle would have, say, infinite radius. My dodgy way of describing it. Check the attachment for what I mean.

Oh. Maybe you don't know.
An argument, such as arg(z)=pi/4 is basically a 'line' which starts at origin, has gradient one (tan[pi/4]=1), and never ends. It's called a ray, as opposed to a line which has no visible starting point.
So pi/4 ≤ arg (z + i + 1) ≤ 3pi/4, this is two inequalities:
{arg(z+i+1)>=pi/4
{arg(z+i+1)<=3pi/4

Draw each seperately and then shade the region bounded by it (the least region in this case, because of the direction of the inequality signs). The ray is placed at -i-1, or (-1,-1). However, you exclude the case where you are taking the argument of zero: z+i+1=0, so exclude z=-1-i. (arg(0) undefined).

So you have two rays, both with same starting point, but one having a gradient of 1 and the other a gradient of -1.

Now the circle's the easy part.

Say hello, algebra bash (just to illustrate - it's easy to do it by inspection unless asked to use algebra)

|z + i + 1| ≤ 3
let z=x+iy, then:
|(x+1)+(y+1)i|<=3
sqrt[(x+1)^2 + (y+1)^2]<=3
(x+1)^2 + (y+1)^2 <= 9
Circle centre (-1,-1), radius 3, as well as everything inside it.

That help?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
*stabs Jases in the face* :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)