complex numbers (1 Viewer)

RohitShubesh21

HSC
Expand the RHS from (b), which is equal to , to get the values for

and

These are the values of and , the roots of the quadratic with the desired roots.

You should get that for a non-zero constant.
OhOk Last help for this question sir.
1634817871974.png

icycledough

HSC
You can go about it by converting it into polar form, so you can equate the equation above to cos(theta) + i*sin(theta). Then, getting the right modulus and argument, you can graph the roots on a diagram

RohitShubesh21

HSC
You can go about it by converting it into polar form, so you can equate the equation above to cos(theta) + i*sin(theta). Then, getting the right modulus and argument, you can graph the roots on a diagram
Yes I am done that but I am not getting answer I think my argument is wrong. I have got pi/6 but when I add 2kpi it is getting wrong answer.

icycledough

HSC
Yes I am done that but I am not getting answer I think my argument is wrong. I have got pi/6 but when I add 2kpi it is getting wrong answer.
As the Cartesian equation has 2 negatives, the argument should lie in the 4th quadrant. Thus, your argument should be a negative, acute angle.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
And so, in polar form, the complex number has a negative obtuse angle

RohitShubesh21

HSC
Sorry I dont understand yet. Could you do working out so I can see how to do... sorry verymuch

idkkdi

HSC
Expand the RHS from (b), which is equal to , to get the values for

and

These are the values of and , the roots of the quadratic with the desired roots.

You should get that for a non-zero constant.
alternatively,

1+z+z^2+z^3+z^4 = 0
(z^2+z^-2) + (z+z^-1) + 1 = 0
2cos2t + 2cost + 1 = 0
4cos^2t + 2cost - 1 = 0
Let cost = x,
hence 4x^2+2x-1 = 0 for Re(z), where z=/1, z is a 5th root of unity, which is cos2pi/5, cos4pi/5.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Sorry I dont understand yet. Could you do working out so I can see how to do... sorry verymuch
1634874721216.png

Now you would get the angle to be pi/3 when you do tan^1(-8sqrt(3)/-8) however that does not necessarily mean that the argument is pi/3. Construct a diagram and plot the complex number, you will find it lies on the 3rd quadrant. What you are doing with tan^1(-8sqrt(3)/-8) is you are finding the angle of that triangle specifically in that quadrant, not the actual argument itself. Hence the argument would be -2pi/3 when you do pi - pi/3. I believe this is the error you made - everything else is just routine.

Last edited:

RohitShubesh21

HSC
alternatively,

1+z+z^2+z^3+z^4 = 0
(z^2+z^-2) + (z+z^-1) + 1 = 0
2cos2t + 2cost + 1 = 0
4cos^2t + 2cost - 1 = 0
Let cost = x,
hence 4x^2+2x-1 = 0 for Re(z), where z=/1, z is a 5th root of unity, which is cos2pi/5, cos4pi/5.
Thank you sir,... I am asumming the identity z^n + z^-n = 2cosnt .. is it assumed or I need to prove sir?.

RohitShubesh21

HSC
View attachment 32881

Now you would get the angle to be pi/3 when you do tan^1(-8sqrt(3)/-8) however that does not necessarily mean that the argument is pi/3. Construct a diagram and plot the complex number, you will find it lies on the 3rd quadrant. What you are doing with tan^1(-8sqrt(3)/-8) is you are finding the angle of that triangle specifically in that quadrant, not the actual argument itself. Hence the argument would be -2pi/3 when you do pi - pi/3. I believe this is the error you made - everything else is just routine.

Drawing it up is pretty straightforward, if you do need a diagram feel free to ask. Also its commendable that you have started this topic at Year 9 already, and you have the initiative to do so! Don't feel shy to ask for more help in the forums as I'm sure more people will be willing to help out. Welcome.
Ohok, thanks very muchsir.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Thank you sir,... I am asumming the identity z^n + z^-n = 2cosnt .. is it assumed or I need to prove sir?.
If you were just to assert it, make sure you note that it is only true if |z| = 1, and show that condition is satisfied in the circumstances in which you use it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)