∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
also i think you made a mistake with your second line of working
2z|z| doesn't equal z^2|z|

scaryshark09

HSC
here are both the solutions i wrote up
Screen Shot 2023-10-26 at 12.46.30 am.pngScreen Shot 2023-10-26 at 12.53.33 am.png
note that:
2cosθ = exp(-iθ) + exp(iθ)
2isinθ = exp(iθ) - exp(-iθ). <=> -2isinθ = exp(-iθ) - exp(iθ)
these can be proven by expanding the RHS

Last edited:

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC

scaryshark09

HSC
Why did u become smart after the hsc ended
Is this a cannon event
Was jimmy also like this????!!
ik right
its just cause there is so much pressure that surrounds the hsc, and now that im done, i can actually do math without any stress and its way more fun than it already was.
like i was generally pretty good throughout the year, i just stuffed up both the exams that mattered most (3u and 4u HSCs) :(

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
Can someone plz explain the answer of this for me:
nytrbtgdfvscax.PNG

I've got the worked solution here for the answer. I just don't get how they're equal. So using an example that lies on the curve, say for arg(z + i) the number for it is 3 + 2i. Then if arg(z - 1) would be 2 + i. But arg(3 + 2i) doesn't = arg(2 + i). Please explain what I'm doing wrong.
nhfgbdvsa.PNG

HSC
View attachment 41373

I've got the worked solution here for the answer. I just don't get how they're equal. So using an example that lies on the curve, say for arg(z + i) the number for it is 3 + 2i. Then if arg(z - 1) would be 2 + i. But arg(3 + 2i) doesn't = arg(2 + i). Please explain what I'm doing wrong.
View attachment 41374
the difference in arguments would be zero (just do lhs-rhs) so they are collinear. if z is in between 1 and -1, the argument is pi not 0 (you can see this by either testing values or drawing it out).

HSC
View attachment 41373

View attachment 41374
also about your z=3+i example, 3+i does not lie on the curve. the cartesian equation would be y=x-1 and (3,1) does not lie on this line.

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
also about your z=3+i example, 3+i does not lie on the curve. the cartesian equation would be y=x-1 and (3,1) does not lie on this line.
ok that makes sense. It's just a collinear line with the exception of 0 < x < 1.

Luukas.2

HSC
View attachment 41373

View attachment 41374
The vector approach is definitely the way to go here, but we can derive it with algebra:

Now, a complex number has a argument of zero if, and only if, .

In other words, the required locus lies along the line , but is required to lie outside the circle centred at and with radius of . This second requirement excludes the values where and as the points inside this circle correspond to when and where .

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
The vector approach is definitely the way to go here, but we can derive it with algebra:

Now, a complex number has a argument of zero if, and only if, .

In other words, the required locus lies along the line , but is required to lie outside the circle centred at and with radius of . This second requirement excludes the values where and as the points inside this circle correspond to when and where .
tysm. But yeah, I think if this was a test I'd solve this geometrically.

Luukas.2

HSC
tysm. But yeah, I think if this was a test I'd solve this geometrically.
Absolutely, the intention is to approach the problem geometrically. However, getting the answer algebraically is better than not getting the answer at all. Further, understanding why the restriction exists and how it emerges from the algebra is a useful skill in constructing solid proofs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)