• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Complex question (1 Viewer)

synthesisFR

HSC
like they say "this formula should not be memorised" and proceed to do those examples using that formula
da hell bruv

synthesisFR

HSC
can someone do those 2 examples normally so i know what to do
when you can do q16's but not solve a quadratic equation bc ur kinda messed up af like me😍

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
from skimming it (sorry if I'm repeating what someone else said) they use the discriminant? I have no clue I need to work this out on paper 😭

carrotsss

HSC
can someone do those 2 examples normally so i know what to do
when you can do q16's but not solve a quadratic equation bc ur kinda messed up af like me😍
Basically you just solve it like a normal quadratic, except what is in the root is a complex number, so you will need to find the root of the complex number to determine it. To determine this root, you can either complete the square (extremely elegant and fun, but unnecessary) or find a result by equating real and imaginary parts in (x+iy)^2=discriminant. Then you equate real and imaginary parts, and from there it’s just algebra to find x and y, after which you can substitute in (x+iy)^2, which can be rooted to finally determine the value of z. You can also convert the discriminant to exponential form to make the root easier but that’s not always an option if it’s not a round argument obviously

synthesisFR

HSC
Basically you just solve it like a normal quadratic, except what is in the root is a complex number, so you will need to find the root of the complex number to determine it. To determine this root, you can either complete the square (extremely elegant and fun, but unnecessary) or find a result by equating real and imaginary parts in (x+iy)^2=discriminant. Then you equate real and imaginary parts, and from there it’s just algebra to find x and y, after which you can substitute in (x+iy)^2, which can be rooted to finally determine the value of z. You can also convert the discriminant to exponential form to make the root easier but that’s not always an option if it’s not a round argument obviously
yeah idk what ur ona bout

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
but why do we use the discriminant

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
I don't like the direction Cambridge goes with this. They seem to want to lead to a more and more formulaic approach to try to make it look more sophisticated. Such false increased sophistication is not required nor encouraged in the syllabus.

The only formula I used was the quadratic formula just to make it go along a little quicker. Even that is not necessary if you complete the squares instead.

Furthermore a more formulaic approach could lead to unrecoverable errors in exams and hence is fraught with danger.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)