• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

complex stuff (1 Viewer)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
How do you use that method so seamlessly? Are there tricks or do you just have to practise?
It's from the Terry Lee book. Don't use it, it's way too confusing and lots of room for error.

Plus it's not like you get a whole list of questions on this. In a test you'll probs only get like 2 marks worth, so it's not worth stuffing up by using some stupid shortcut.

bob fossil

HSC
It's from the Terry Lee book. Don't use it, it's way too confusing and lots of room for error.

Plus it's not like you get a whole list of questions on this. In a test you'll probs only get like 2 marks worth, so it's not worth stuffing up by using some stupid shortcut.

Doesn't the normal way take about 45 seconds?

Aldehyde

HSC
im from qld and we had to use de moivres theorem to simplify radicals:

(a+bi)^n = (rcis(theta))^n = r^ncis(n(theta)) = r^n[cos(n*theta) + isin(n*theta)]

z = (-12 - 16i) ^1/2

r = sqrt((-12)^2 + (-16)^2) = sqrt (400) = 20

theta = tan^-1 (-16/-12) = tan^-1(4/3) [3rd quadrant, so add pi]
-> theta = pi + tan^-1(4/3)

then: -12 - 16i = (20cis(pi + tan^-1(4/3) ))^1/2

to get all solutions: (a+bi)^1/n = (rcis(theta))^1/n = r^1/ncis((theta + 2kpi/n) = r^1/n[cos(theta +2kpi/n) + isin(theta + 2kpi/n)] , for k from 0 to n-1

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Yes, you can use DeMovire's theorem to find square roots of equations, since DeMovire's theorem is true for all real values of n. Too much fiddling around in my opinion though.

The Nomad

HSC
Yes, you can use DeMovire's theorem to find square roots of equations, since DeMovire's theorem is true for all real values of n. Too much fiddling around in my opinion though.
And it isn't always the greatest when the roots are required in the form x + iy.

bob fossil

HSC
I failed the 3 unit exam with only getting 34% so the pressure was on to perform in 4 unit.

Fuck yeah I passed with 56%.

Thanks to everyone that answered my questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)