• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Complexes? (1 Viewer)

le-frizzle

HSC
yehh this is a nooby question

but I don't fully understand the term 'complex' that revolves around cyclodextrins ...

The ability of cyclodextrins to form complexes with hydrophobic molecules...

and hydrophobic ...
I've looked it up but I'm not really getting it

does it have something to do with saturation ?

I'm soo lost ..

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
A complex is a chemical structure where a central atom or molecule is connected to surrounding atoms or molecules (sometimes known as ligands). A simple example is a hydrated compound where the surrounding atoms are water molecules like CuSO4.6H2O where the Cu2+ forms coordinate covalent bonds with the oxygen atoms of each water molecule.

Hydrophobic means 'water hating'. In other words, the substance is repelled by water (generally the case with non-polar molecules).

So I'm guessing the cyclodextrin surrounds hydrophobic molecules and forms coordinate covalent bonds with them...

I don't think this is in the syllabus....

Last edited:

le-frizzle

HSC
Trebla said:
A complex is a chemical structure where a central atom or molecule is connected to surrounding atoms or molecules (sometimes known as ligands). A simple example is a hydrated compound where the surrounding atoms are water molecules like CuSO4.6H2O where the Cu2+ forms coordinate covalent bonds with the oxygen atoms of each water molecule.

Hydrophobic means 'water hating'. In other words, the substance is repelled by water (generally the case with non-polar molecules).

So I'm guessing the cyclodextrin surrounds hydrophobic molecules and forms coordinate covalent bonds with them...

I don't think this is in the syllabus....
Ty :)

lol, its for my assignment
everytime I try to study some simple word, it's just explained with more difficult words =P

soo thanks for breakin it down for me :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)