Composition Tutoring (1 Viewer)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
It's a bit late for HSC students for this year, but would there be any interest among 2005 HSC students for Composition Tutoring by BMus (Comp.) students from the Sydney Conservatorium of Music?

One of the things we're thinking about bringing in next year is a high school tutoring program for Music 2 and Music Extension students, which would develop teaching skills for BMus (Comp.) students as well as help HSC music students trying to do well in their Compositions. There will probably be a minimal teaching charge to cover costs, but it might prove invaluable for students trying to do well against schools like MLC, where teachers write compositions for their students.

And if anybody is interested, www.secsmusic.org is the homepage of the Composition students society at the Con.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Phanatical said:
It's a bit late for HSC students for this year, but would there be any interest among 2005 HSC students for Composition Tutoring by BMus (Comp.) students from the Sydney Conservatorium of Music?

One of the things we're thinking about bringing in next year is a high school tutoring program for Music 2 and Music Extension students, which would develop teaching skills for BMus (Comp.) students as well as help HSC music students trying to do well in their Compositions. There will probably be a minimal teaching charge to cover costs, but it might prove invaluable for students trying to do well against schools like MLC, where teachers write compositions for their students.

And if anybody is interested, www.secsmusic.org is the homepage of the Composition students society at the Con.
:( Yeah I do wish you came earlier... Help me with my four compositions....

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
I think that sounds like an excellent idea. Would you be providing facitilities for the students to record their written compositions as well?

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
sounds like a good idea i was thinking of doing bmus composition myself

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The plan is currently in its infancy, so we're not sure about exactly how much we can offer. It's doubtful we can make the recordings for you, though we might be able to help depending on time and resources.

That said, when I did my HSC, I just connected a tape player to a MIDI keyboard - they're not looking at the quality of your recording, but they want an audible aid to help them look through the score. Proper composition teachers will not ask for those, but HSC markers aren't proper composition teachers.

Last edited:

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
hahah MLC!!! yeah those private school people suck. Like when we went in some concert band compeition, some private school (cant remember which) hired professional players for each instrument section of their band but they didnt even get in the finals hahahahahaha!! And we won, using our OWN players!! Go Public Education!! Yipeeee

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
oh and yeah by the way that sounds like a good idea!! Cos me and this other guy were the only people doing composition for 2 unit elective, and everyone else did performance, so most of our class time was spent doing performance workshops and stuff like that.... and the teacher spent too much time helping the other guy with his comp and like i got no help at all so i had to write my comp all by myself cos the teacher hated me and he didnt want me to do well in my comp. So yeah i think thats a great idea for future hsc music students - cos we never get any composition lessons at school... (unless you go to the con high i think)

nemuca

Ultimate Bludger!!
HSC
well, fort street has one core comp period like every fortnight
i guess that's not too bad
coz later at some stage we'll get someone majoring in comp at the con to come in and teach us

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Phanatical said:
The plan is currently in its infancy, so we're not sure about exactly how much we can offer. It's doubtful we can make the recordings for you, though we might be able to help depending on time and resources.

That said, when I did my HSC, I just connected a tape player to a MIDI keyboard - they're not looking at the quality of your recording, but they want an audible aid to help them look through the score. Proper composition teachers will not ask for those, but HSC markers aren't proper composition teachers.
having said that, i still maintain that a live recording is best, because it demonstrates that the piece is playable for that particular player/ensemble. that is half of music after all; for the piece to be performed yes?

is there a Performers Society? maybe you could join forces with them. I am quite sure that there will be many that will support this idea and there is money to be made too...

chepas

HSC
Man this sounds like a really good idea!

trumpet geek said:
hahah MLC!!! yeah those private school people suck. Like when we went in some concert band compeition, some private school (cant remember which) hired professional players for each instrument section of their band but they didnt even get in the finals hahahahahaha!! And we won, using our OWN players!! Go Public Education!! Yipeeee
Though hearing that people go to great lengths with the recording don't necessarily beat others (like me) who can only cobble together something straining to be heard, is sort of comforting! I went to one of those Australian Music Workshops for composition last year at MLC with Richard Gill (by some force of divine intervention I swear.. it seemed really exclusive), which was really good and worthwhile, but I was the only one out of about 30-40 people that came from a public school....

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
SECS has an active performer membership, but putting together concerts is difficult enough as it is. Perhaps if performance students doing the HSC are willing to perform your works, we may be able to put on a number of concerts.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I went to the Australian Music Day at MLC in year 11. The other schools were really really really rude to us, as my school (Girraween High) was the Only public school there that year. While their blazers said stuff like "1997 Spelling Competition", only a few of us had blazers, and they looked at us with disdain.

I'm looking to hold a similar seminar some time next year, but this is again something in planning. If we did hold this event, it would hopefully involve lecturers from the Conservatorium and from Main campus.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
hey michael, did you know that our darling Hindson was the Composition teacher at MLC? :)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Dr. Hindson is a lecturer at USYD's main campus as of last year, and a big supporter of SECS. But when he was teaching at MLC, his students always had a touch Too much of Hindson in the works they handed in.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I am currently preparing the proposal for the SECS Education Program, and I would like to know what sort of things that 2005 or 2006 HSC students would be interested in learning. There are several methods of delivery which I am currently investigating:

1) One on One tuition. Probably the best method for Music Extension students majoring in Composition, and available based on location and availability of teachers.

2) Monthly or Bi-monthly seminars starting from March or April, which would involve sessions directed by Composition students (and possibly composition lecturers) helping Music 2 students with Core Composition and Australian Music of the Last 25 Years, and possibly score reading.

This program could be run at the Conservatorium, or if there is enough demand at schools. Perhaps if groups of schools could have a combined class with maybe 2 or 3 BMus students at one of the schools it would prove more cost effective for both us and you. Something like $10-$20 to participate in the program would seem reasonable, but these are particulars which will need to be decided at a much later point.

While we're not qualified teachers, we're exposed to the Australian music scene a lot more than high school teachers, and I think that we can offer insight that your teachers might not be in a position to offer. It's also an excellent opportunity for participating composers to make a few dollars, and to gain valuable teaching experience.

If you could take these ideas to your teachers, I would appreciate feedback and suggestions. I can be contacted at andrew.quah@secsmusic.org.

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:

It may be a little late to bring attention to this topic again, but WHAT?

Nicci_15

HSC
Uni Grad
Though not all comp students are on this website, i know im not, perhaps phanatical u can tell me how i can be involved

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)