Compositions (1 Viewer)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
ez_19 said:
haha thanks dude, for explaining all that. I only just came across this thread again now, soz for the delay. Anywho, heres my comps.. enjoy :D hehe. theyre way cliched... but thats what u have to deal with when ur a dummkopf like me and start 2 weeks before.

these are sib. files btw, ill post up other types if anyone wants to hear and doesnt have sibelius.
ez_19:
They sound great (much better than my shit in the HSC!) but I have to say that the minimal dynamic markings will score against you. I'd have made what you Did have clearer on the score (Ctrl+E - expression markings), and added phrasing to both of them. They're technically fine, but there isn't as much contrast between the two works as I would have wanted if I were marking. Great stuff though, makes my HSC stuff look like rubbish. (though I started 3 days before it was due)

ez_19

Musikerin
HSC
Phanatical said:
ez_19:
They sound great (much better than my shit in the HSC!) but I have to say that the minimal dynamic markings will score against you. I'd have made what you Did have clearer on the score (Ctrl+E - expression markings), and added phrasing to both of them. They're technically fine, but there isn't as much contrast between the two works as I would have wanted if I were marking. Great stuff though, makes my HSC stuff look like rubbish. (though I started 3 days before it was due)
hey! thanks heaps for your suggestions. actually, these scores on here have no markings i know - i did it by hand cos i was pressed for time. so the scores i submitted were much different! so if anything counts against me it luckily won't be that! :)
yeahh they're not particularly contrasting hey! i didn't have much choice cos I loved the idea i got for the clari one (which i wrote the week b4 it was due) and i didn't have time to do a whole diff. comp, so i just said what the hell, and went with it.
i noticed in your sig. u belong to that syd uni composers society - whats it like?? do u have to be at the con to join?? are there any other comp soc's.. ill be at usyd next yr and def continuing comp :p

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
SECS is an amazing group of people. The first and second years started the society last year, and now our membership includes pretty much all of the Dept. of Composition (including lecturers), as well as quite a few people based at Main campus, including the head of the Liberal Society and a lecturer in Biology.

Membership is most definitely Not limited to composers either - we have an active performer and musicologist membership. We administer the Sydney Eclectic Chamber Orchestra, and the electronic music group eclectic:bit. We have good links with the main campus musical groups, including the Sydney Uni Symphony Orchestra (SUSO), Music Theatre Society (MUSE) and the Sydney Uni Musical Society (Choir) (SUMS)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
ez_19 said:
mine are there too!
ez, i hate you and i'd never look at your compositions if someone paid me to!
Joking! :p
i did try to look at them, but the link doesn't work. could you post them up again for meeee? :):):)

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
DJGerber said:
Well I do Music 1 sadly... the one which gets scaled down. My school didn't offer Music 2 at all! :(

One of my electives was 'Technology and its Influence on Music'. This is my composition for that elective, "Expectations", which unfortunately has me singing in it. It goes for 4 minutes on the dot! (which is the maximum time for Music 1 compositions) I really want to re-record it after HSC as I sort of ran out of time with the other two compositions I was working on at the same time. I figure I'll spend a lot of time composing after HSC. I can't wait. :D

MP3 (3.66MB):
http://members.optusnet.com.au/madx/djgerber-expectations.mp3
yeah, none of the teachers at my school were qualified to teach music 2 when we chose... i'm not saying we have bad teachers of course... :D
they're going to offer music 2 to year 11s next year. i feel so underprivileged!

ez_19

Musikerin
HSC
Crikket said:
ez, i hate you and i'd never look at your compositions if someone paid me to!
Joking! :p
i did try to look at them, but the link doesn't work. could you post them up again for meeee? :):):)
mehhhhh ok. jeez, ur such a hassle crikket...
hehe j/k :D

go back to the post where i put the comps up - i added another zip file with midis in it i think, so u can see it if u dont have sibelius

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
i pride myself on being a hassle to everyone i encounter :)

oooh,i like the out of bounds one! although the midi makes it sound like an old skool supermario game, remember those things kids? :) that's heaps awesome, i don't think you have anything to worry about!

and the sidewalk schooze is so groovy :) i hate using that word, but that really sums it up! you have awesome compositions and i shall be jealous of you forever! :p

EDIT: this is addressed to ez, i forgot to mention that :D

ez_19

Musikerin
HSC
haha, thanks!! lol its so embarrassing hearing u say the titles of the pieces.. my mum came up with them the night before (hmm i can't find the 'embarrassed' smiley thingy)

well heres a toast to my comp becoming the new mario theme music (hoping to get a super nintendo freak examiner) :cool:

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
lol! they're pretty good! compliments to your mum
they kick my "too much curry: the dance of the bollywood queen" LMAO
i came up with mine on the morning they were due :D

ez_19

Musikerin
HSC
Crikket said:
they kick my "too much curry: the dance of the bollywood queen" LMAO
HAHAHAH classic!!!!!

that is all i have to say. :D

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Although this is quite late, CHEPAS! Your works are simply awesome! If I may ask, what were the marks you received for them? I especially enjoyed the one with the trumpet, flute and drum kit.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
*Leaf*: It sounds like you're in the right mindset for the Con. Nice melodic shapes (if rather simple), and unique choices of timbre reflect well. Knowing how to use computers in the compositional process is also a plus. I can't say without looking at your audition portfolio, but based on the page, I'd like to see greater variety in performance media: writing for different ensembles, utilising different (contrasting) compositional techniques.

A couple general words of advice for anybody considering applying for Composition at the Con, or any other tertiary institution:

1) Explore different compositional styles in your portfolio. Use contrasting ensembles and/or extended techniques, and choose pieces that you feel show the most variety in your compositional output. This is not the HSC - you're not writing to time limits or specific performers, so don't limit yourself.

2) Presentation is key. Markers are looking at your ability to convey your ideas to your performers. Your scores should be neat (try and make your scores look like the ones you see in those expensive music books), printed clearly (laser printer, people), and properly bound. The markers are far better trained to spot mistakes in your scores than a HSC marker, so scores should be carefully proofread, with musical notation and expression used appropriately. Program notes and performer instructions should be included where appropriate, and should be written in the best English you can possibly muster.

3) You are competing against other talented composers for places. The markers are not just looking for competent composers, they are looking for those who they feel will most benefit from the course. They are looking for candidates who stand out from the crowd - those doing something inventive and unique, who demonstrate a drive to really push the boundaries of Australian music. Even if you get in, you will not benefit from the course if you are closed-minded to different musical ideas, and insist on only writing music in the style of 18th century lieder.

Last edited:

GRX40
HSC
N/A
Are "traditional" composers discouraged? From what I've seen, extended techniques, dissonance and insane metric modulation are all the rage these days. Is that true for the Con? I know that parts of it are directed towards experimental music, but are such composers the only types the institution accepts?

I don't feel that I "really push the boundaries of Australian music" in any way, but I can show variety in terms of instrumentation and genre...I think. I suppose what I'm essentially asking is: does one's music have to be distinctly Australian and/or experimental in some way in order to be considered?

Also, do all applicants receive an interview, or only those whose composition portfolios are considered worthy?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
The number one criteria that the markers are looking for is originality. No matter your personal compositional aesthetic (whether more mainstream or "out there), IF your works are truly original (as opposed to derivative), you'll do well.

west man

HSC
hey guys
here are two of my compositions...
myspace is a really good way to get em on the net
www.myspace.com/croonbot
... i got 100% for right wing
.. and only 85% for missing gold... lol
cya

tehjkunk

HSC
Heya Guys! I dunno How Alive These thread but yeh, these are my HSC 2007 Compositions :) Hoping to get into the Conservatorium (Composition). Comments and Critiques Would be greatly appreciated.

Link is here --> http://xiongz.com/jun/HSC%20Compositions/ <--- Link Is Here

Thanks Again In Advanced ^_^

hypernewbie

Ramen consumer
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh hello....
I do music 1, and have been composing for about 4 years as a pasttime

thought I can use some useful feedback....plz

:)

heres my trance stuff
http://www.hypernewbie.com

attached is some of my midi stuff, for people that are errrr....into midi..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)