Compositions (1 Viewer)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
If the due date is past, would any of you care to post your compositions? I'm curious as to what skills I've missed out on developing... :p

chepas

HSC
^More embarrassed hearing what other people think :p

Interesting.... how could we post them hehe? Make a winzip file or something...? Might be too big for the BOS server to let us. (did mine in Sibelius...)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
post the midi...

Sibelius is a pain in the bum to use... and it's supposed to be the easiest power prog to use =/
:. I'm an inept and I just stick with NWC...

But I really am curious...
If needs be I'll start the ball rolling... but I'd rather not considering I haven't studied music and hence my compositions leave a little to be desired :)

chepas

HSC
Ooh midi! Midi sounds absolutely delightful (actually, my midi is better than the live recording lol. I need to push the choir's tuning slide in a LOT on the recording).

We can't post midis, unless we zip them then post em as a zip file. Might do that and post the score as well. When I get home...

Sibelius is a dream to use! But I have no frame of reference cos its the only prog I have ever used, except for Music Works Personal which was a cheap and nasty piece of work...

chepas

HSC
Here are my compositions. Need Sibelius or at least the Scorch viewer to view it. Put MIDI files in it, the .sib file and the performance notes/bullshitty blurb with it too.

Scorch browser plugin thing... http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/download/get.pl?com=sh&prod=scorch I am not sure if you will be able to look at it through the zipped file, it should be ok though.

*Puts head on guillotine.*

Last edited:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
chepas said:
Here are my compositions...
*Puts head on guillotine.*
You have nothing to worry about :)

Your prelude and fugue immediately reminded me of Bach's C Minor... :p
I might try composing some music with words some time... I found the 2 non-orchestral ones interesting...
the orchestral one... reminded me of jap cartoon :p

What parameters are imposed on the compositions... my criticism is that they're all so short...

Last edited:

chepas

HSC
Bachs C minor - ARGH oh hurray it's noticeable!!! That's what was reelling through my head the entire time I composed it. Yeah I really didn't like it. That was the world's bodgiest job, literally up till 3ish/4ish the morning it was due, where ideas aren't very fresh and on the ball, mmm. I think the elective 2U comp was maximum of 3 minutes, of which I only barely scraped 2 (slowed tempo down by about 4 metronome beats a minute, so bought me some seconds!! :rolleyes:. ), so I am prepared for the elective to be eeeuch.

The core we had max 2 minutes, used about 1.40. I wanted to reinstate another idea to flesh it out, but I would have gone over the limit, and I didn't want to speed it up because then the words would have been like a whirling dervish (now have "The Sound of Music" in the brain...). The extension was a max of 6 minutes combined time of the two contrasting movements/two pieces. - I think I did 2.40 for #1 and about 3.05 for #2...

My music teacher actually wrote the words to the 2U Core, the Aussie one. I wrote the music, and then fitted the melody my preconceived melody around the words, so that explains the text that barely makes sense :rolleyes:

But of course, thank god, that it's over and I never have to see the damn things ever again! :D, actually, mus teacher wants to do my 3U for our graduation, so the damn things resurrected again. Though, I like conducting because we can yell at people for valid reasons and for no reason at all. :p Power :p~~~.

I tried zipping MP3s of the recordings but I think it still was too big to attach to BOS...

EDIT: Which one reminded you of the jap cartoon lol? That's a new interpretation I've heard :p.

Last edited:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
The constraints seem annoying... I guess a sonata movement wouldn't be viable, even without repeats.

the 3U one (orchestral) was the jappish one :p
Bah listenin again it doesn't sound too jappish...

Anyone else? I want to hear more compositions :D

chepas

HSC
Yeh they are, but if there weren't any time restriction I suppose when you have a pile of them to mark in the marking centre, marking a 3 hour opera can get a wee bit tiresom :D.

Yes, more people with their comps!!!

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Why is everyone so shy about their compositions!

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
Estel said:
I'll post one of mine up... not to do with course as I don't do music at school...
criticism and advice is always welcome, esp. to do with the theory (I completely lack knowledge of musical theory).

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/... Piano and Violin Allegro in A Flat Minor.mid
hey that sounds heaps cool its sounds very much in the classical style - you should do a live recording cos it would sound mad!! i gets better as it goes along- opening sounds a little weird - prolly cos its midi but if it was played live then it should sound ok... theres like good interaction between the violin and piano, and theres good balance between the two parts. hehe i really like it!!!! impressive stuff! good onya

olay

HSC
meh i came here the other day and tried to post, but it didn't work. :(
what i wanted to say was

#1. chepas i love your core comp!!! it is delightful :D and i love the lyrics that pop up ... it's like karaoke [btw, tell your teacher that the lyrics are gorgeous :)]

#2. estel, i think ur comp is incredibly well written and i especially love the piano part - sounds like lotsa fun to play.

other ppl, post ur thingies :) i wanna hear them!!! i tried posting mine the other time but it didn't work...but i'll try again now. [i even zipped the midi and put it in the zip...:S] hmm... i don't think it is working. suggestions anyone?

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Olay: PM the file zipped and I can host in on a website/try putting up file from here...

Thanks to both of you for your generous praise; pity it's probably the best composition to date I've done. :p

Post your compositions, people! :D

chepas

HSC
Estel said:
I'll post one of mine up... not to do with course as I don't do music at school...
criticism and advice is always welcome, esp. to do with the theory (I completely lack knowledge of musical theory).[/url]
That's positively awesome! Nice form and structure. And on a purely subjective note, I love the Ab minor. Nice smooth harmonic progression too... what trumpetgeek said hehe. You sure you don't do music :p!!! What program do you use btw?

Thanks olay :). I was kind of wary about the text because I thought they'd have got a bit too syrupy, even for kids! But, it's done.

I wish it were possible to get just a feedback report back on the comps/performances etc from the Board of Studies. To see individually what strenghts/weaknesses there were in our works, so we can improve on them in the future.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
i played my composition with the schoool orchestra at a concert tonight. i shall post up the recording later! i really hate the fact that the pieces can only be 2 or 3 minutes long - stupid board of studies or whoever they are. you cant expect us to write something that short and still show musical development arghhhh i always have too many ideas and i can never fit them all in and its annoying!! arghhhh

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Chepas: I use Noteworthy Composer, a program that is infinitely inferior to Sibelius, but I started with it a year and a bit ago and I can't be bothered "learning" another program. :p
On my subject selection form I didn't put music because I knew I'd get a bad mark in it... then I decided I should do it anyway purely as extra units for fun... but it was too late by then and there wasn't a class (1 short) =/ [Edit: referring to Yr 11 selection]

I'll try my hand at a few short "songs" some time after I finish my present violin sonata movement + piano sonata movement... I wish I did music so I'd have an excuse to do all this...
trumpet: *looking forward to the recording* :)

Last edited:

Jase

HSC
Wow! those compositions are great!
.. so do you play piano and violin?

chepas

HSC
#18. Tis a shame :) Keep going at it though, composing is always fun... I just hope you get to realise your compositions some time...

I finally figured a way to put the recordings on the net. Hurray for Angelfire who gives 20MB for free :D

Extension, #1 - http://www.angelfire.com/ab8/chepas/mp3s/MUSEXT01.mp3
Extension, #2 - http://www.angelfire.com/ab8/chepas/mp3s/MUSEXT02.mp3

I did the extension one for my graduation yesterday, and it was a thousand times better than this recording, which is bodgy and a half. Yes, I know that tuning is yeeuch and the choir is a bit flat/sharp depending on when you take notice... that's why I put the midi on the recording I sent to BOS as well, just in case they would listen to it too :rolleyes:

Edit: To download them don't click on the link as in to go to the page, right click on it then go to Save Target As, then save it (and it should download it via one of those dialogue boxes...). Hopefully that works.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)