Compostition or performance? (1 Viewer)

sarahxx

zapmaa
HSC
what should i do for my hsc?
anyone have any advise on both pros and cons?
i wish i would just flip a coin

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
if your not serious about music.. that is, you don't want a career in music go with composition.. if you want to make money out of music do performance, now i know im about to get a mouthful but think about it guys its true!

it also depends what instrument you play

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
All decent performers should have a good grasp of Composition. In my belief, they don't teach enough composition to performers at the Con, as you cannot interpret the works of a composer, unless you understand the thought processes that are involved in creating the work.

Josephine

HSC
Depends what you're better at. If you like composing a lot, or you get lots of musical ideas, then go for composition. Otherwise choose performance, unless the instrument you play doesn't have much repertoire :)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Composition is bludgier. Instead of practicing for hours every day just to fall sick before the exam, you can rush it over the last three days before it's due.

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
BUT... its easier to get full marks in performance than composition. :) so do performance :p unless u really think ur gonna get a better mark in compo than perf.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
It depends on you. Ultimatley the decision lies with you. If, for example, you get stage fright, then maybe comp is for your. On the other hand, if you never have any ideas for songs at all, then maybe performance is for you.

Weigh up the pros and the cons and then decide for yourself. While Phanatical has a point - composition can be bludgier, if you don't have any ideas, you can really stuff it up if you don't plan at all, trying to write it all in 3 days - particularly as with the HSC you have to submit a recording.

Performance is a long, drawn out process involving practice and discipline.

Musicians can always do one or the other. But which one they'll be good at and which one they'll enjoy is another question alltogether.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Composition tutors can be of use if you choose a Composition Major. While we cannot actually write the piece for you (one of my classmates got hers done by a BMus (Comp.) graduate), we can help you use the ideas you come up with to turn them into a piece worthy of the Sydney Conservatorium.

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
The HSC is all about marks, not education (unfortunately). So go for whichever you are better at, to score those marks. You should certainly listen to the different opinions and advices of the BoS members, but dont let them tell you what to do!! Cos your the one whos doin the HSC and u have to make ur own decisions!!!

Remember, performance is all about impression marking - the markers arent gona have the score infront of them. Play something that shows your technical capabilities, preferbly something tonal so they can get involved in the music, and also you have to 'peform' - you have to like fully move around and be fully into the music...or at least pretend to, cos u have to be interesting to watch too, not just listen. Dont play something thats too well known.

Composition is great because you just have to do it, and hand it in, and thats all there is to it. Sure the actual composing bit may be very time consuming and difficult, but once youve done it, you dont have to worry about it, especially if u finish it off well before the submission date. You see, performane is a little risky, cos you peform on the day, and even if you have been practicing 6 hours every day, if u get nervous or sumthing and stuff up your performance, u wont get the marks u wanted... therefore composition can be a safer option... but but but remember that the hsc composition is about clear score notation and development of musical ideas and stylistic understanding. You could write a great sounding piece, but if ur scores rough or something, youll lose marks... so you have to be really careful with composition... Oh and also write something interesting, by using like unusual instrument combinations, or by exploring lots of different instrument tone colour techniques. The HSC markers are sick of marking string quartets with the 1st violin playing the main melody.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Hence why I strongly recommend Composition tutors, who have an understanding of the Australian contemporary music scene.

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
I'm doing a comp for Instrument and It's Rep.. and I've got a external music teacher who teaches me everything - comp, piano and musicology. He was an ex student of my school so he has good repore with my teachers which helps alot in communication between school and outside school.
I think that if u arent very good at performance (like me) u should do comp. Don't forget taht you can always do 3 vivas, althought that will depend on how much work u put in.. and what subjects you are doing.

timrie6

HSC
N/A
Composition is very hard to get good marks in- however, if you are talented at it, go for it.
Performance is perhaps easier but if you have trouble playing in front of an audience/under pressure perhaps pick composition.

Or pick a combination?

slip

HSC
some important points to consider

-is your performance effected by nerves
-are you able to play 4pieces in a row with out them effecting each other
-how much practice will you put into performace (the work for compostion i believe is more easily spread)
-how good are you at each
-do you have enough pieces to play(maybe you only have 3, so consider doing comp before a weaker piece)

having said all this i did comp and performance, both had stressful times, performance definately had soem more fun times due to play ing with people, but i was better at composing

give both ago see how it plays, i didnt make my decision till the final day i was allowed too.

dannyboy_588

HSC
okay....

i don't know why people here think performances are more work....

for compositions you have to keep a diary of your research, and every step you take, all your ideas and processes....

with a performance you just learn the piece and do it...

I get stage fright and I do fine....

performances are bludgier than compositions.......

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
dannyboy_588 said:

for compositions you have to keep a diary of your research, and every step you take, all your ideas and processes....

hm.... well its up to you to decide how much work u wana put into it. I kept a performance journal for ext music although i didnt have to.. but i did it anyway. I wrote down stuff about my practice routines, what i needed to work on, and also wrote comments on other performers and their performances. This really helped me and you can learn a lot from doing that and it can improve your performance.

slip

HSC
dannyboy_588 said:

the journal does not actually get sent in. your teacher may use it to help them mark your compostion at trials but it is no big deal, i just bullshited mine and i got 17 out 20...

some people arent natural performers and do get a piece to a band 5 or 6 level have to analyse the piece, learn in part by part, add stylistic impressions basically build it up from nothing, and that can take time, hence some people find it harder/or more time consuming

erock

HSC
i picked composition cuz i like writing songs and have for a long time.... the thing im struggling with it.... whether or not it will actually provide a job, hell i like doing it, and its fun... but yeh who knows if it should be studied as a degree... u look at all the bands around, bet they didnt go to a "course" to write hit songs... but i dunno who knows lol

i think ive just got cold feet before uni starts lol :D

dannyboy_588

HSC
hmmm...

for me here at school, a performance is way easier...

anyways...

as it has been said, it is your choice....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)