Compulsory uni service fees to be reintroduced (2 Viewers)

Do you support VSU?

• Yes, VSU should stay

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • No, VSU should go

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
aussie-boy said:
I completely agree

And USUs also help find accomodation, jobs and legal advice

And if you dont like the extra curricular activities, or if you are going to be selfish and deny collective benefits to the uni society - go find a different uni that doesnt attempt to offer such a wide range of benefits.

The reason USYD, for example, has such a fantastic reputation is because it has provided generation after generation of well rounded professionals (most of whom have drawn valuable life experience from the activities that unionism supports).
You haven't even completed your HSC yet, you fucking dipshit. You know absolutely nothing about the way student unions are run, and pretending to do so just makes you look like a moron.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the USU doesn't provide legal advice, help with accomodation or do anything about jobs. The first is a minor function of the SRC, and the second and third are provided by the university itself. There's still shitloads of extracurricular activities (around the same amount as prior to VSU) because the USU, unlike other student unions, has been well managed.

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Whatever man, I'm happy for you gay guys to sit on the grassy knoll and contemplate your navals, just don't expect me to pick up the tab.

Coz that's a whole heap of doodle that is unattainable for the rest of us :(

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
i would, in general, support government funding of certain functions of student orgs to ensure that they're provided in the smaller unis where the uni can't fund them itself.

but reintroducing compulsory upfront fees? no. i can't see how the src can bang on, justifiably, about student poverty while also wanting to go back to slugging students hundreds of bucks per year. i might almost be able to support adding a services fee to HELP, provided that it was pretty small and that it went to important services (rather than to funding 'iraq veteran SPEAKS OUT against the WAR OF TERROR' events or whatever).

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Lol 6 pages later
False alarm. Return to your villages, put down your arms. THere will be no war with the English

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
withoutaface said:
You haven't even completed your HSC yet, you fucking dipshit. You know absolutely nothing about the way student unions are run, and pretending to do so just makes you look like a moron.
Yes, listen to Justin Simon. He's on the union board and look at the sweeping changes and fixits that he's introduced - He's reinventing student unionism fellers!

LOL

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/battling-unis-to-bring-back-fees/2008/11/02/1225560645008.html

UNIVERSITIES will be allowed to charge students a compulsory fee of up to $250 a year to revitalise campus amenities and services which have deteriorated drastically since the abolition of compulsory student unionism.

But the Rudd Government insists the impost will not amount to a backdoor revival of compulsory unionism.

The Minister for Youth, Kate Ellis, will announce the fee today to cover services ranging from child care to sporting facilities, which she says have declined and fallen into disrepair under the former Howard government's voluntary student unionism legislation.

Universities can start collecting the fee from July and, in return, will have to comply with government benchmarks on the type and quality of non-academic services they provide.

To soften the impact on students and parents, the Government will provide HECS-style student loans to cover the fee, and repayment will deferred until students enter the workforce.

But in the most contentious element of the scheme, the $250 fee will also be used to fund student representation and advocacy on campus. Critics will argue this is a new form of compulsory student unionism.
[...]

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I guess I will be starting the UNSW Gentlemen's Foundation in July.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Higher Education Legislation Amendment (Student Services and Amenities, and Other Measures) Bill 2009
Explanatory memoranda

Introduced into the House of Representatives this morning.

Schedule 1 of the Bill will amend the Higher Education Support Act 2003 to provide for a fee to be imposed by higher education providers from 1 July 2009 for a compulsory student services and amenities fee. The fee will be capped at $250 per student per annum and indexed annually. The Bill provides for the establishment of a new component of the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP): Services and Amenities-HELP (SA-HELP), which will provide eligible students with an option to access a loan for the fee through SA-HELP if they wish. In addition, the Bill will require, higher education providers that receive funding for student places under the Commonwealth Grant Scheme, to comply with new benchmarks, from 2010 onwards, for the provision of information on and access to basic student support services of a non-academic nature; and requirements to ensure the provision of student representation and advocacy.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Freedom could be dead from 1 July this year?! Time to get myself in contact again with a few Senators.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
As long as it's on HECS, I'm just not going to pay.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
don't Labor care about poor students who are struggling to meet all their expenses as it is? :mad1:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
What, are you serious? It's Labor. They don't care about anyone.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I've never received a satisfactory explanation from a leftie for the massive contradiction in the positions they advocate. On one hand they harp on about student poverty and high HECS debts, while at the same time wishing to impose a large fee on students.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
They're helping us help ourselves make our HECS debts higher

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
rafy said:
Time to get myself in contact again with a few Senators.
:rofl:

watch out, rafy is in town.

Kwayera said:
What, are you serious? It's Labor. They don't care about anyone.
What quality posts you bring to the moderation team, madam!

Having ragged on you people, I'm opposed to CSU, or any compulsory fees being levied upon students. I've only experienced the situation at USyd, so it very well may be different at other universities, but it doesn't seem necessary to me. I'll be applying for one of those financial hardship thingos, me thinks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)