Computer Animation sub major with BScIT/BBsus? (1 Viewer)

JosephW

HSC
I am really keen in doing the combined degree however the submajor Computer Animation and Graphics from the BScIT course has a really interest with me. I am curious if I can take it with the combined degree, or if there is any other way of taking it up. Thanks

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
No, there isn't unfortunately.
The BBus/BScIT course only allows you to select 4 majors which are listed here: http://handbook.uts.edu.au/directory/cbk90781.html

To select submajors, you would have to select the straight BScIT course.

Is there a reason why you want to do Business too? Like, what in business interests you? The reason why I ask this is, some friends I knew, found it pointless in doing the computing side to the combined degree and ended up transferring to a straight Business course, because that is what they wanted to do.

JosephW

HSC
Well what I am aiming to do is computer programmer however, I am topping business studies at school and I noticed I have an interest in it as well. So the combined degree was a natural choice. Any recommendations if I am aiming to lean towards the computer side of things?

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
JosephW said:
Well what I am aiming to do is computer programmer however, I am topping business studies at school and I noticed I have an interest in it as well. So the combined degree was a natural choice. Any recommendations if I am aiming to lean towards the computer side of things?
If you are aiming to become a computer programmer, I would recommend the straight BScIT course. You have the choice to either do two IT majors, or one IT major and two sub-majors/electives (in which you could do a sub-major in Computer Animation and Graphics).

If you also have that interest in business, you could select the Business Information Systems Management Major (http://handbook.uts.edu.au/directory/maj02080.html), but I don't know if you want to go down that path if you want to do programming (perhaps an Enterprise Systems Development major?). Alternatively, you can select sub-majors (http://handbook.uts.edu.au/directory/cbk90782.html) that are run by the Faculty of Business like Business Accounting, Introductory Economics, International Mangement, Accounting for Small Business, Advertising Principles or Marketing Principles.

The BScIT course is three years, and as mentioned above, allows for flexibility, opposed to the four year BBus/BScIT course that is relatively not as flexible.

JosephW

HSC
Hmm you got a point there. Im just curious if there are any advantages in having a degree in business as well. Like would it help in any way with an IT career?

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
JosephW said:
Hmm you got a point there. Im just curious if there are any advantages in having a degree in business as well. Like would it help in any way with an IT career?
Business degrees help in terms of understanding how a business runs if you want to become a business analyst, or want to run your own business. but if you want to do programming, i would recommend doing the BScIT, or trying out for the BIT scholarship program. Here's the application form: http://it.uts.edu.au/course/scholarship/bit/BIT_applicationform_round2_2009.pdf

The second round closes on the 31st of this month, so you would need to send it in ASAP to try and get an interview position. The BIT course is a 3 month intensive program where you do 2 years at uni and 1 year at industry during 2x6 month industry placements. You get $14.5k a year whilst you're doing it, and is a widely regarded and recognized degree. It combines business and it, but has more of an IT management/IT business spin on it. However, there are a lot of people who are programmers in the course so don't think you can't program in it.Topping business studies would look extremely good on this as they want people who can balance the IT and business components.

only difference is that there's no majors, but you would be able to do the 4 subjects in the comp graph sub major as electives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)