Computer Engineering (1 Viewer)

Punctuation M

HSC
N/A
I've a few questions that a current computer engineering student could help me out with.

1. Is the mathematics essential? Of couse engineering requires a high level of mathematical knowledge; however, would I be able to cope with only having completing 2 unit mathematics (the reason I ask is because I will not have the option to take a bridging course because they do not offer them to mid year intake students)?

2. Is most of the course topics in relation to personal computers/laptops or does the course structure greatly exceed personal computers?

3. Are you enjoying the course? is it too boring? tell me about your experience within the computer engineering course?

Thanks.

Punctuation M

HSC
N/A
I appreciate that information; I was looking at going to UWS, it's around the corner from where I'm living. I already completed the HSC but unfortunately I can't attend university untill mid 2007. I shouldn't have too much trouble obtaining a spot in the course @ UWS, I got 93.00UAI and last years cutoff was 60.00 I believe.

Nah man, why do you ask whether or not I like to watch chess? I do however have a keen interest in computers; this is why I am aiming to get into university, to further my knowledge of the infrustructure behind computing, especially that of the internal workings; mobos etc -while hopefully also gaining strong background in Operating Systems; Linux etc.

Punctuation M

HSC
N/A
Musk said:
i asked to see if you have that problem solving personality, the chess thing proves it however you seem to be more into computer science rather than computer engineering
Ok, well, that's why I wanted your experienced opinions; for someone who is interested in the construction, design and implementation of computing, would they be best suited to a computer engineering or computer science degree? In the long run, I would like to open my own buisiness in which I repair computers, networks while also doing contract work for large companies...

I don't know, I suppose I'll have to give each university a call and see what they think. I was also considering TAFE; but they don't go any further then operating windows.

Anyways, I appreciate the information. ;)

Punctuation M

HSC
N/A
I'll be sure to go to university, no doubt about it. But I will be fairly pissed if I get into a course and it's nothing but Windows, browser building, unix and programming. I'd like to study the construction of computer equipment, as well as designing and analysis of computer devices. I do enjoy electrical subjects actually, I had a motherboard under a magnifying glass yesterday amazed at what goes on in it.

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Punctuation M said:
I'd like to study the construction of computer equipment, as well as designing and analysis of computer devices. I do enjoy electrical subjects actually, I had a motherboard under a magnifying glass yesterday amazed at what goes on in it.
Ding ding thats computer engineering.

Same boat as me mate. Except I didn't get the magnifying glass out. That's kind of napoleon-little-dog-explorer, you know. A little kooky.

If you want to open your own business where you build and repair computers and networks, you'd probably be best off getting some MS or Cisco certification and avoiding all the maths and physics (very very few people in computing stores would have computing degrees). But you'll probably find with your intelligence, you'd get bored of that after a few years and you'd want something a bit more technical, with better pay, and you could regret not doing the study to give you that option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)