computer not shutting down ? (1 Viewer)

funniboi

HSC
alright, this might sound really stupid..

but when my computer has been on for ages, it wont shutdown....
like it'll show the screen "windows is now shutting down" and stay like that for ages.

and it's really annoying because i usually walk away while it shuts down, but the other morning i woke up and my comptuer was still on and it was on that screen.

is there a reason to why this happens? its been happening a few times since that day. i can't reboot via windows (but i can press the reboot button). after it reboots it shuts down normally.

i know i can just keep pressing the reboot button, but its such a hasssel.

and yeah, i know this is stupid but any helps would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

btw - i'm on win xp (no sp2)

funniboi

HSC
yeah, i can do that.. but thats the thing. i dont want too! it's so much of a hassel..

:/

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Are the hard disks still spinning during this whole time? (red light on the front and disk noise)

My guess is it is choking on the ram or page file. Possible solutions being to defrag the HDD so the computer has more space to work with.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
Ok, i know this isn't entirely related. but someone mentioned installing SP2.

Firstly, how do i know if i have it installed or not?

I installed the Windows Update thingo, does that mean it's automatically installed?

sunny

meh.
HSC
tomorrows_angel said:
Ok, i know this isn't entirely related. but someone mentioned installing SP2.

Firstly, how do i know if i have it installed or not?

I installed the Windows Update thingo, does that mean it's automatically installed?
Right click on My Computer, Properties. Under "System" it should say "Microsoft Windows XP ......." If XP2 is installed, it should have "Service Pack 2" in the last line.

If you've had Automatic Updates turned on you probably have it.

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
sunny said:
Right click on My Computer, Properties. Under "System" it should say "Microsoft Windows XP ......." If XP2 is installed, it should have "Service Pack 2" in the last line.

If you've had Automatic Updates turned on you probably have it.
ok, i only had SP1, will get SP2 when (or if) i finish this crappy assignment, computer runs too slow otherwise.

thanks!

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Go to my computer, right click on the C drive, select properties, click the tools tab, check for errors and defragment it.

I think this is your best bet at fixing the problem, though it will take a while so leave it until after your assignment.

funniboi

HSC
i actually can't install sp2 (edited by mods; you can guess the reason)

but, im currently defraging my C: -- even tho i did a scan of c: and there were no errors.

just curious, what does defragging actually do ?

Last edited by a moderator:

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
hehe i knew what it does, didn't know how to explain it, so here's a nice lil explanation from http://www.boogiejack.com/tipsamp2.html:

"What Does Defragmenting Do?

You computer stores your files by seeking out the nearest free space. This often isn't optimal. As groups of files become spread far and wide on your system, there may not be an optimal place for your computer to save new files.

Furthermore, if a saved file is surrounded on the disk by other saved files, then you add new data to surrounded file, it actually becomes a split file on your system with one part in one place on your hard drive and the other part or parts in other areas. This obviously isn't optimal. Defragmenting your hard drive on a regular basis regroups your files in a logical sequence."

ok so basically it groups them all together the way they should be again, and because you often have multiple copies of something, it will remove them, and condense it into one group. This will then leave more space on your hdd.

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
equiski said:
Please don't. Installing SP2 on a non-fresh installation of Windows XP is like tap dancing on a bear trap. There is a moderate chance that the update will napalm your entire installation of Windows. It happened to 3 of my friends. It may happen to you D:

Anyway, who needs a stupid IE adblocker when you have firefox, eh? eh?!!?!

Mmmm firefox.... it rocks.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
yup sometimes my computer won't turn off, but theres nothing the power switch can't do

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)