computer programming (1 Viewer)

inchcape

HSC
N/A
once i leave school i want to be a computer programmer, however i do not know very much about programming at the moment as we do not do it in my 6th form, does anyone know any books or sites, or even can someone give me some little undersatnding of programming.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
You can always Google for information, tutorials, assistance etc! Google is your friend.

Decide on a language to learn - good first languages include Java and C. If you like the idea of databases learn SQL, php, perl etc. I advise NOT learning Visual Basic if you don't already have a firm grasp of programming style and techniques.

I'd recomend The C Programming Language, Kernighan and Richie .. it's pretty old but it's invaluable. You can find copies online if you're not willing to shell out textbook prices. The O'Reilly series has quite a few gems too (see the website for details) - be careful because some textbooks are purely commercial exercises.

And you can always post here .. or check up in the Software Design and Development forum for help. Some people here are geniuses ;)

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Yeah, go for a language that suits your interests.

The Wrox tutorials for C and C++ are pretty funky too - give those a look.

Adrian.

HSC
anti said:
I'd recomend The C Programming Language, Kernighan and Richie .. it's pretty old but it's invaluable.)
I don't know that I'd recommend that for an absolute beginner (it assumes you know basic programming concepts). I think those Sams Teach Yourself x In 24 Hours/21 Days books are usually geard towards absoulute beginners so I'd give one of those a try. I'd learn Java or C.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)