Computer Science > Internet Sci and Tech? (1 Viewer)

dantay_au

HSC
just got a phone call from the uni today about them forcing an offer for BIST, my mark was 76/100 in maths when i needed to get an 80/100 for CompSci (and 80/100 for BIST's early entry as well :rolleyes: ).

Could someone shed some light on the differences between these two courses as ill be taking the offer for BIST (only a fool wouldnt with a UAI of 61) and there doesent seem to be that much difference.

Anyone who could shed some light on this for me would be appreciated, and first post, woot.

edit: speeling

santaslayer

HSC
dantay_au said:
just got a phone call from the uni today about them forcing an offer for BIST, my mark was 76/100 in maths when i needed to get an 80/100 for CompSci (and 80/100 for BIST's early entry as well :rolleyes: ).

Could someone shed some light on the differences between these two courses as ill be taking the offer for BIST (only a fool wouldnt with a UAI of 61) and there doesent seem to be that much difference.

Anyone who could shed some light on this for me would be appreciated, and first post, woot.

edit: speeling
What? First post? What?

Internet Science is just internet related. Computer Science is arerrghhh related. They might have the same first year core subjects though. I have a friend who does Internet. I ask her what it's about and she said, "the internet and how it can be incorporated into stuff like commerce and shit".

I guess it's like Info Tech or wwhateva u call it. How you incoporate information systems into the commerce/science fields...

dantay_au

HSC
thanks for the responses guys, thats exactly what i was after slayer.

links are appreciated even though ive been through the informatics faculty page :)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Computer Science is a broad field. You can focus on things such as security, AI, games, software development, mathematics, health informatics etc. Internet Science and Technology is a smaller field, but is easier to keep one focus.

Really do what you think you're more interested. Computer Science in 2004/2005 has specialties in eCommerce, distributed systems, security, software development and mathematics, etc. I'm not sure what 2006+ will be like. If you're more interested in the Internet, then BIST is better. :)

HSC
Probably important to be aware of the difference between Internet and internet, judging by my experience with some of the subjects on the course outline you'll be learning a lot about both in a B. IST. That is to say, a lot about networking in general, as well as the Internet specifically.

The presence of so many core ECTE subjects (Being those which are run by the School of Electrical, Computer and Telecommunications Engineering), also means that you'll be learning a lot more about the electrical side of things than you would (Without the use of electives for this purpose) in a Comp Sci degree, lots of analysing sine waves and what not (Stuff which puts me off totally, but I guess it depends on what you're into).

Good luck with it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)