Computer science/Software engineering (1 Viewer)

J0n

N/A
HSC
Can you guys tell me what you do in Computer Science, what you do in Software Engineering, and what the differences are between the two?

asdf

HSC
Computer science if your lazy, S/W ENG if you want money. :p

at least thats what i've been told...

J0n

N/A
HSC
Do you do any programming in software engineering?

sunny

meh.
HSC
Computer science deals with any field of computing. At UNSW the computer science degree is largely electives - by 3rd year you only have one core subject and everything else are electives. This is a good choice if you want to do computing but don't know what field yet, or you just have a general interest in computing.

There is programming in seng. Software engineering leans towards management as well as the computing side. For example, in a large project, the coordinator or project leader is usually a software engineer. They deal more with the design and management processes.

liz

HSC
I do computer science at Sydney uni. There for the first year the Computer Science people and software engineer people can do the same subjects if they wish. Computer Science lets you choose the subjects you want to do with only programming and maths compulsory, yet software engineering has the subjects already chosen for you. Computer Science has majors from which to choose from, these are : Principles of computer science, multimedia technology, networks and systems, software development, digital design, computational science and computational linguistics.(Don't know if majors are the same at all uni's.)
I think there both very hard courses but software engineering takes i think 5 years where as computer science takes 3 years.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I do Software @ UNSW and what Sunny said is fairly true.

Comp Sci is made up of lots of electives, which allows you to pick how much computing/IT/Maths you want in your degree.

Software has less electives, leaving you with about 1/4 maths, 1/2 computing and 1/4 IT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)