Computer stuff (1 Viewer)

Kaido

be.
HSC
So, here are my end goals:
- Develop websites (everything except the artistic stuff)
- Develop software (everything except the artistic stuff)

I have 0 experience, so am not sure what course I should undertake to be able to develop the skills necessary.
I'm also gonna be self-learning and doing the course as fast as possible

So yeah, two questions:
What courses should I take (as specific as possible)?
How long would it take (normally)?

keepLooking

HSC
What you are looking for is the back-end of things. I would recommend Computer Science as it tackles the back-end of stuff whereas IT has a focus on the business aspect.

For self-learning, "computer stuff" is easily self-learnt on the internet. You may wish to use MIT Courseware but surely there are many resources available.

About how long it will take, you need to be more specific with your goals. Do you want to create a simple website like a portfolio or do you want to create e-commerce websites? Do you want to develop a simple calculator, a mobile app or a game? The time needed will be dependent on your goal and your passion/interest.

b0b101

Pharaoh
HSC
So, here are my end goals:
- Develop websites (everything except the artistic stuff)
- Develop software (everything except the artistic stuff)

I have 0 experience, so am not sure what course I should undertake to be able to develop the skills necessary.
I'm also gonna be self-learning and doing the course as fast as possible

So yeah, two questions:
What courses should I take (as specific as possible)?
Legit just take cs50x by Harvard, It takes 12 weeks and will walk you through Scratch (easy to use drag and drop starting language), C (the base language for C++ and basically every other language), HTML (web), CSS (web design), PHP, SQL and Javascript. There are problem sets for almost every week and a final project. Really recommend it!!

Link -> https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x

Last edited:

keepLooking

HSC
Legit just take cs50x by Harvard, It takes 12 weeks and will walk you through Scratch (easy to use drag and drop starting language), C (the base language for C++ and basically every other language), HTML (web), CSS (web design), PHP, SQL and Javascript. There are problem sets for almost every week and a final project. Really recommend it!!
Saved and defo doing after tomorrow's final exam.

sy37

HSC

Link -> https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x
+1 this

Took CS50 (not CS50x) a few years ago, stopped halfway through but the courseware is pretty good. Didn't like C at all though. I think it should still be taught by J. Mallan (or however you spell his name)

OP, let me just address one thing you wrote in particular

Don't expect to learn it in "21 days" as books tell you, lol. Give about 4 years to be proficient / literate minimum.

Flop21

HSC
So web development and software development (minus the artistic stuff? but that's the best part haha).

Learn HTML (pretty easy), then CSS (you'll probably end up learning them side by side since you need both to build a website).

Code academy have some good stuff:

https://www.codecademy.com/

https://www.codecademy.com/learn/web

It's an interactive tutorial like thingo that'll teach you. After you get the basics think up a good project and get stuck into it (e.g. a portfolio website). You'll end up adding onto your basics by learning as you go.

Then once you have a handle on HTML and CSS, look into Javascript. This is all for web development.

For software development, someone's already suggested the Havard course. I find a lot of people recommend Python as the first language to learn. It's apparently more easier to understand than other low level languages. So I think it'll be less frustrating and a turn off than other more difficult languages. I think I will start with python as well because of this reason.

Here is a course for python (codecademy has one as well):

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-mitx-6-00-1x-6

There are many other courses on Coursera and edX but I've been told to only take one at a time (so you finish it from start to end).

Obviously this is all going to take a long time to be proficient in each language, so I suggest focusing on one thing only for a while (whether it be HTML+CSS, or python).

Kaido

be.
HSC
lol, watching the first video lecture on CS50x, I jump randomly towards the end, and the guy just happens to type "Hello David" (my name)
I'm definitely in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)