Computers, Computers, Computers! (1 Viewer)

Imaginethat

HSC
Hey,

Having not completed the subjects of IPT and SDD for the HSC, will I find it tough to endure the B.Information Technology at USYD (mainly this or any other unis in general)? Tbh, I'm like below average at computer programming but I wouldn't mind being able to learn it properly at uni... just worried that you need a computing background for this course :(

p.s. The sudden reason for looking at this degree is that it could help my commerce/eco career prospects potentially in the long run

Anyone who can shed any light on this issue will be instantly repped and thanked heaps!

friend177

HSC
It would help if you have good programming skills and a good computing background will def help. Dont't worry about IPT and SDD, most of the stuff there are basics. But if you are willing to learn then you should be fine.

Imaginethat

HSC
It would help if you have good programming skills and a good computing background will def help. Dont't worry about IPT and SDD, most of the stuff there are basics. But if you are willing to learn then you should be fine.
cheers mate, have u done this degree btw?

Kat92

HSC
@ Imaginethat- If you have the will to do well you should be fine. However seeing as you are ultimately considering a career in commerce/eco, perhaps you could do an IT course at TAFE or the likes. It would certainly reduce the costs and would involve less time than uni.

Imaginethat

HSC
@ Imaginethat- If you have the will to do well you should be fine. However seeing as you are ultimately considering a career in commerce/eco, perhaps you could do an IT course at TAFE or the likes. It would certainly reduce the costs and would involve less time than uni.
Thanks for that, suddenly feel motivated haha. Just out of curiosity kat, have u done any sort of degree related to IT/computers?

Kat92

HSC
Yes, I have done a few. Like you, programming is not my strong point either- however, you will learn if you put in the effort. I think in some places Advanced Diplomas (slightly under Undergraduate degrees) are also offered, as I have seen a couple that sound good if you are an IT inclined sort of person.

kcqn93

HSC
You do not need any prior programming knowledge. Most people will be enrolled into INFO1103 - Introductory Programming (at USyd) where you will be taught from the ground up. Just attend your lectures and keep up to date. Oh, and ask a lot of questions.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I did poorly at SDD in school. I got 82. I do very well at uni. In hindsight it did teach useful stuff, but honestly how well you do in SDD or how much you like it just doesn't have much relevance to your own level of skill or whether you'll enjoy computer science at uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)