Computers @ UTS (1 Viewer)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
why are they sooo freakingggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg slow man, i have to watch a youtube video with 15-20 mins, internet pages are slow as well, i thought that it might be peak-hour internet usage from all students, but com-on after everyone left, the computers are exactly the same.

fuck uws owns uts!

watiwat

HSC
yeah they boot up slow, and the net's slow too..

that might just be the library though.. i think the tower comps are faster, not entirely sure..

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
im talking about the tower computers and computers in building 2....bloody slow

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
wrxsti said:
im talking about the tower computers and computers in building 2....bloody slow
yeah i got to agree with you. the computers are much slower than UWS, and i also like how UWS subject enrollment system is. i also like how you make your time table at UWS aswell. its much easier and simpler. you can make your timetable within 3 days unlike UTS i have to come every day.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
bigboyjames said:
you can make your timetable within 3 days unlike UTS i have to come every day.
lol... so true

although we have the city around us, which is a great advantage :D

dr.denk

HSC
Then go to uws.

I know the comps are abit slow, and the net isnt the fastest, but if it bothers you that much, then leave :p

But, considering that we pay 5k+ to go, then you would expect it to be top notch ;)

krayzie_

HSC
Transfer to UWS then. At least you will be getting the speeds and enrollment system you like. LOL

It's slow because everyone would be coming to uni to stream media, trying to download it, use torrents and games etc. I use the net on wireless all the time and its good for surfing which is what it is intended to be used for.

I seriously doubt management decided to provide net to students to go youtubing, d/l and streaming music, gaming and etc. It makes you think why MSN and windows messenger are NOT on the operating systems there huh?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
lol all my classes are in building 4 and there is no wireless connectivity there at all =(

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
krayzie_ said:
It makes you think why MSN and windows messenger are NOT on the operating systems there huh?
I use Web Messenger...hehehe :rofl:

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
krayzie_ said:
T
It's slow because everyone would be coming to uni to stream media, trying to download it, use torrents and games etc. I use the net on wireless all the time and its good for surfing which is what it is intended to be used for.

wait a sec, i thought downloding from torrent wasnt allowed at UTS?! is it?!

krayzie_

HSC
wrxsti said:
I use Web Messenger...hehehe :rofl:
Yeah so do I but the thing is why isn't it readily available already =D

bigboyjames said:
wait a sec, i thought downloding from torrent wasnt allowed at UTS?! is it?!
No it does not work and if it did your speeds would be so slow you would close it yourself. If this was not the case every second person would be ripping so hard a monkey would come out of your arse.. literally.

jirwin

HSC
it is entirely possible. i did it for a year in yr eleven. just copied the folder from my computer i believe. well my friend put it on my usb but thats what i think he did. but yes u can run msn from a usb drive.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
nice surprise to see you in the uts thread jess.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
wrxsti said:
is this possible to run, like msn off a USB Drive??
I have PortableApps (http://portableapps.com/apps) on my USB which has Pidgin, which is an opensource messenger program. Otherwise.. web messenger works perfectly fine on ITS computers.

On Building 10 computers (for IT students), MSN hasn't been blocked- and you can access it via Program Files --> MSN Messenger.

jirwin

HSC
jemsta said:
nice surprise to see you in the uts thread jess.
:) im everywhere.

not much happens in the newcastle thread :(

any thread that mentions computers has my attention :p

Spider786

Premium Member
HSC
they use filtering to filter out stuff like videos, so youtube runs slow on purpose, the rest of the net is pretty fast, also good luck downloading torrents or p2p stuff, that is also fliterd out.

Zylix

HSC
Spider786 said:
they use filtering to filter out stuff like videos, so youtube runs slow on purpose, the rest of the net is pretty fast, also good luck downloading torrents or p2p stuff, that is also fliterd out.
Easily overcome if you know anything about SSH tunneling. I've tried it briefly with uTorrent and was able to get a torrent downloading.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)