Computers - windows (1 Viewer)

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
when you want to do work and all the computers in building 2 are taken where else can you go?

i know there are places on levels 5 and 10, but where else can you go if its really busy and everyone needs a computer to work

ps- no macs :mad:

roseangel

Take the Money and Run
HSC
There are some at the library, but they fill up fairly fast. And they're sometimes reserved for classes. Other than that I can't really help you.

mysteek

HSC
there are only limited computers for non - it faculty students in building 10. Building 10 is the one next to building 2, well u have to cross the road.. so if ur standing at building 1, walk towards broadway and turn right at the first street.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
ah that building thx

its just a pain during the afternoon everyone decides to do some work, leaving you to walk around from place to place, level to level...

MoNNiE

HSC
Computers ummm
Level 6 Building 2
Level 4 Building 2
Misc levels in the tower building -- (umm Level 16, 10.. i forgot the others...)
LDC's
bUIILding 6 -- but they are mac's
building 5 -- though.. its too populated down there... so forget about it..
Building 10 -- i rarely go in there so i can't comment much about it

ooorrr
you can always bring your own laptop "D -- you'll always have a computer!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
They're not evil, you're just ignorant.

And ignorance does not equal stupidity - the only shame in ignorance is allowing it to continue.

superbird

HSC
its annoying wen ur on a mac and u try to open up certain microsoft documents (such as powerpoint, excel) only to find its not supported!

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
i dont think u can use minitab on macs anyway...

otherwise im just used to windows

i will stnad by my statement- theyre evil

the scum of the earth in fact

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
I used to dislike macs until i got my dual processor g5 with 20" cinema display <3
Puts pc's to shame.

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
Shuter said:
A64 3500+ with 24" LCD display

<3 it and better than macs

doubt its better

two 2/2.5 gHz 64 bit processors
verse
1 3500 64 bit processor

just stating something
and i am in fact a pc user....

S

Shuter

Dual CPU doesn't provide great benefits except in specifically writen programs or extensive multitasking though.

highpingbastard

Lag me hard!
HSC
Hey, but with Macs you get an ultra-funky keyboard. Oh, and the widescreen mac monitor looks fucken awesome.

Oh yeah, and also, such powerful processors don't really provide any advantages either...except maybe to gamers (who ALSO have an extremely powerful graphics card). The whole lot of it is unnecessary!

But, in the end, it's about the 'cool factor'.

Riewe

HSC
Macs would be alright if they had to buttons on the mouse and easier navigation to find programs. At least with pc's you have double click mouse, with scrolling button, and all programs are in the start menu. What more do you want?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
:rolleyes:

Just because you don't know HOW to navigate doesn't mean it's hard. It just means you don't know how to do it. Play around for half an hour and you'll realise that the way Mac OS works is actually more intuitive than windows. You can do more with less actions (don't need to go through as many windows/folders or click as many things).

In my course there are at last count six regulars who bring their powerbooks/ibooks to lectures, and a whole bunch of others with PC laptops of various descriptions. Whenever we set up ad-hoc wireless networks, or open up MS Office (which, by the way, is not only FULLY SUPPORTED on mac but way sexier and more functional to boot) they just drool. Even the majority of lecturers are on macs.

Sadly the macs at UTS are old models, only the HSS people have access to GOOD machines (PowerMac G5s) and they will tell you that once you've used a powermac, there's no going back. The whole "more power is only useful for gamers" approach is absolute rubbish - gamers tend to use PC machines since (sadly) most developers severely neglect the Mac platform in terms of game development and release. The power is actually far more relevant to people working in media (music, movies, visual art etc), architecture and other graphic design, scientific research (LOTS of number crunching takes place on G5s), engineering (simulations and modelling), and tons of other stuff. This is why Apple's primary market is academia - school/university students and academic researchers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)