• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

computers (1 Viewer)

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Originally posted by jim_bob2004
i want to build my computer but i want to no wat the best site is to order parts from
personally i think it's sometimes good to do that if they've got discount or gifts that worth more than the postage.. otherwise I would advice you to go to a computer shop you know instead unless you don't wish to talk to a sales person face to face due to certain reasons (e.g. you hate computer *dudes* with bad manner) or you really can't find that hardware at computer retails.

Also.. if you are building a whole computer, maybe you should write down the specs you want and make see how much does it worth altogether before you buy anything. Because sometimes you might save more if you buy system from other companies (consider that you have to spend money on OS.. Software... etc.) because they come with softwares which you would probably spend a few hundreds to buy anyway (unless you are using *copied* softwares *ahem*)

If you want any advice just post your ideal specs (including monitor) and what are you going to use it for :) many people will reply you with estimated costs and other useful comments before you buy :)

You could try:
http://www.arcco.com.au

Or search for big stores such as Harvey Norman/DickSmith.. etc. and see if they have anything you want.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
well.. in that case you may consider for a economy class :)p) sound card (e.g.Creative Vibra 128, ~$30) or if you want more *sound* from your computer then get an Audigi ;) and you don't have to worry much about the LAN bit because it's built into most motherboards these days or you could get one for ~$15. Ooh.. yes, if you could be satisified by onboard sound, you don't even have to get a sound card ;) (you can have 5.1 even with onboard sound)

And motherboard.. if you are not a computer junkie who always upgrade and can wait for 2-3 years, you can probably settle with motherboards in the $100-$130 range, also, check out what CPU you want.. if you want a cheaper CPU, an Athlon is definitely your choice, personally I would recommand the XP 2600 chip (it's always better to get the semi-latest chip because they are not very expensive compared to the top one and you still get good performance). If you want a P4 you'll be looking at an extra 100 bucks compared to the XP 2600.. but I don't think that would be necessary in your case ;)

hard disk... go for a 80GB one, the difference (in price) between a 40GB one and a 80GB one is only about $10-$20.. if you want better performance, pay an extra ~$30 for 8MB of buffer :p

If there's not much gaming, 256MB (DDR 2700, can go for DDR 3200 if you want to) would be sufficient and then all you'll need is a normal graphics card. Here you are probably looking at the FX5200/Radeon9200.. if you are not sure about what graphics card to get, it's always better to get the mid-range ones (i.e. FX5600/Radeon9600 Pro) and that would cost you from $90-$140 or $160-$300 respectively (that depends on the brand.. but the cheaper ones also work really well)

assume you want a DVD combo drive.. that would be ~$100.. just add them up together :) post again if you need more help

p.s. if you need a specific spec. and price, you'll have to tell us EXACTLY what you want :) including whether you'll be gaming or not.. etc..

Note: those posted above are just personal recommandations :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)