condensation rxn of amine and carboxylic acid? (1 Viewer)

indeed

HSC
1687748495065.png

A) 1687748438979.png
found this question in a past paper (2021), i dont ever recall learning this (only ever recalled learning ester linkages), can someone please point out the syllabus dot point and if possible some resources where i can learn this

Thanks

gamja

HSC
It would be in IQ 5.1 and 5.2, and also in condensation polymerisation (more specifically for Nylon-6,6) in IQ6.2.

i.e.

investigate the structural formulae, properties and functional group including:
- primary, secondary and tertiary alcohols
- aldehydes and ketones
- amines and amides
- carboxylic acids

explain the properties within and between the homologous series of carboxylic acids amines and amides with reference to the intermolecular and intramolecular bonding present

Model and compare the structure, properties and uses of condensation polymers, for example:
- nylon
- polyesters

indeed

HSC
It would be in IQ 5.1 and 5.2, and also in condensation polymerisation (more specifically for Nylon-6,6) in IQ6.2.

i.e.

investigate the structural formulae, properties and functional group including:
- primary, secondary and tertiary alcohols
- aldehydes and ketones
- amines and amides
- carboxylic acids

explain the properties within and between the homologous series of carboxylic acids amines and amides with reference to the intermolecular and intramolecular bonding present

Model and compare the structure, properties and uses of condensation polymers, for example:
- nylon
- polyesters
Oh ok, it doesn't specifically mention the combination of functional groups unlike esters (so I was confused) but thank you

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
View attachment 38733

A) View attachment 38732
found this question in a past paper (2021), i dont ever recall learning this (only ever recalled learning ester linkages), can someone please point out the syllabus dot point and if possible some resources where i can learn this

Thanks
Esterification is a type of condensation reaction between a carboxylic acid (COOH) and alcohol (OH). The ester linkage forms through eliminating water. That is the main reaction you learn in the syllabus as an example of a condensation reaction. However, there are a few other types where a similar principle applies and water is eliminated by the two chemicals reacting. The question is one of those other types.

Easiest way to realise a condensation reaction is taking place is to look for a COOH, NH2 or OH being reacted with a COOH, NH2 or OH. Cut water from the two functional groups in total (i.e. 2H and O) and join the compounds together. That will be the product

So for example:
CH3CH2COOH + CH3CH2NH2
- lose OH from COOH ===> leaves you with CH3CH2CO
- lose H from NH2 ==> leaves you with CH3CH2NH
(OH + H together gives the water H2O)

join the molecules together from the side you removed the atoms and you get CH3CH2CONHCH2CH3

Another example:
CH3CH2NH2 + CH3CH2COH
- lose OH from OH ==> leaves you with CH3CH2

join those together from the side you removed the atoms you get CH3CH2NHCH2CH3

Other than that knowing that kind of question they won't ask you much more for these less common condensation reaction. As in you don't need to know it in such a detail like esterification where they want you to know all the specifics of the experiment and catalyst etc.

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
View attachment 38733

A) View attachment 38732

Thanks
theres questions where u will need to be able to apply what u know abt polymers into these contexts

i actually had a polymers exam recently as part of my assessment, i can send u the exam it was all mcq tmrw and can help with any questions u might have!

indeed

HSC
Esterification is a type of condensation reaction between a carboxylic acid (COOH) and alcohol (OH). The ester linkage forms through eliminating water. That is the main reaction you learn in the syllabus as an example of a condensation reaction. However, there are a few other types where a similar principle applies and water is eliminated by the two chemicals reacting. The question is one of those other types.

Easiest way to realise a condensation reaction is taking place is to look for a COOH, NH2 or OH being reacted with a COOH, NH2 or OH. Cut water from the two functional groups in total (i.e. 2H and O) and join the compounds together. That will be the product

So for example:
CH3CH2COOH + CH3CH2NH2
- lose OH from COOH ===> leaves you with CH3CH2CO
(OH + H together gives the water H2O)

join the molecules together from the side you removed the atoms and you get CH3CH2CONHCH2CH3

Another example:
CH3CH2NH2 + CH3CH2COH
- lose OH from OH ==> leaves you with CH3CH2

join those together from the side you removed the atoms you get CH3CH2NHCH2CH3

Other than that knowing that kind of question they won't ask you much more for these less common condensation reaction. As in you don't need to know it in such a detail like esterification where they want you to know all the specifics of the experiment and catalyst etc.
Oh ok yeah, thank you!

indeed

HSC
theres questions where u will need to be able to apply what u know abt polymers and then apply it in these contexts

i actually had a polymers exam recently as part of my assessment, i can send u the exam it was all mcq tmrw and can help with any questions u might have!
Yh sure if possible that would be great 👍 Thanks!

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
theres questions where u will need to be able to apply what u know abt polymers and then apply it in these contexts

i can also send u my polymers not section that i made, it should be of some help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)