conflict in the pacfic assessment (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey guys i have this assessment due very soon and i need some help.

the question is..."Assess the failure of Japan to achieve dominance in South-East Asia and the Pacific by 1945".

i think this is quite a tricky question and besides a couple textbooks and some work from school i dont have many sources i can refer to. also how exactly should i go about this essay? would i be going through the strategies used by the Japanese to achieve dominance and assessing those?

so if you have any resources to offer or any help it would be much obliged thanks.

ballyy

HSC
i think its a fairly easy question once you break it down
clearly you would first start with the territory that the japanese captured pre-1941, how they did this, so yeah, refer to strategies, but probably other things as well, like reactions to it
and then turning points, and how they lost what they had gained pre-1941
and so on and so forth
if you visit the state library there should be a bit of stuff you can refer to
hope that helps.. i just did an assignment on pearl harbour..

Last edited:
HSC
thanks alot duly noted will help alot im gonna get 20/20.

a shout out to the guys at the library *wink*

mzduxx2006

HSC
extraordinary07 said:
hey guys i have this assessment due very soon and i need some help.

the question is..."Assess the failure of Japan to achieve dominance in South-East Asia and the Pacific by 1945".

i think this is quite a tricky question and besides a couple textbooks and some work from school i dont have many sources i can refer to. also how exactly should i go about this essay? would i be going through the strategies used by the Japanese to achieve dominance and assessing those?

so if you have any resources to offer or any help it would be much obliged thanks.
Ok. Assess means provide points for and against as well as make a generalised final judgment (remembering not to be personal when stating this).

You would first begin with the introduction, agreeing with the question and vaguely stating what you would discuss, how Japan were quite powerful and dominant within the pacific regions in the early stages of the pacif war.

Then through the body of your argument you would start off by discussing how Japan were quite dominant and the whole concept of "6 months of glory" with the Phillipines, burma, Singapore, Malaya, Hong Kong, and Thailand collapsing (keep in mind that all these spots were British strongholds). Then you would discuss how gradually Japan faced internal and external problems during the war including:
  • Having to fight two dominant world powers USA and Britain.
  • Poor communication skills between Japanese Navy and army and airforce.
  • With holding of information from Japanese military officials and government to project the perception that little damage to Japanese artillery occured (hence further tactical strategies were established based on the belief that the Japanese army was fully capable of waging a war)
  • Having to keep the Japanese economy continuing after the USA placed the naval blockade and their supplies of food/oil were running out.
  • The atomic bomb.
  • Increased resilience from smaller Pacific islands including Burma with the Internation Burmese Army (BIA) .
  • Japans cockiness in regards to not implementing furthger attacks after pearl harbor and wake island (they thought it would devestate USA so much that they would avoid beccomming involved in the war however this had the opposite effect).
  • Jpan really didnt have any clear cut objectives or strategies, in addition they werent thought out and although had immediate sucess in the long run they could not destroy and demoralise USA.
Keep in mind i have just started the Conflict in the Pacific module and maybe i have missed out some key facts as i have not covered it yet. But from what i knmow so far, this is what i would discuss.

Hope this helps. Smilie

historykidd

HSC
mzduxx2006 said:
Ok. Assess means provide points for and against as well as make a generalised final judgment (remembering not to be personal when stating this).

You would first begin with the introduction, agreeing with the question and vaguely stating what you would discuss, how Japan were quite powerful and dominant within the pacific regions in the early stages of the pacif war.

Then through the body of your argument you would start off by discussing how Japan were quite dominant and the whole concept of "6 months of glory" with the Phillipines, burma, Singapore, Malaya, Hong Kong, and Thailand collapsing (keep in mind that all these spots were British strongholds). Then you would discuss how gradually Japan faced internal and external problems during the war including:
  • Having to fight two dominant world powers USA and Britain.
  • Poor communication skills between Japanese Navy and army and airforce.
  • With holding of information from Japanese military officials and government to project the perception that little damage to Japanese artillery occured (hence further tactical strategies were established based on the belief that the Japanese army was fully capable of waging a war)
  • Having to keep the Japanese economy continuing after the USA placed the naval blockade and their supplies of food/oil were running out.
  • The atomic bomb.
  • Increased resilience from smaller Pacific islands including Burma with the Internation Burmese Army (BIA) .
  • Japans cockiness in regards to not implementing furthger attacks after pearl harbor and wake island (they thought it would devestate USA so much that they would avoid beccomming involved in the war however this had the opposite effect).
  • Jpan really didnt have any clear cut objectives or strategies, in addition they werent thought out and although had immediate sucess in the long run they could not destroy and demoralise USA.
Keep in mind i have just started the Conflict in the Pacific module and maybe i have missed out some key facts as i have not covered it yet. But from what i knmow so far, this is what i would discuss.

Hope this helps. Smilie
I'm sorry.

You probably tried hard.

But everything you just said was wrong. Simply wrong.

Why do you even bother?

mzduxx2006

HSC
historykidd said:
I'm sorry.

You probably tried hard.

But everything you just said was wrong. Simply wrong.

Why do you even bother?
hmm thats funny cause i wrote that exact same shit in my essay for a similar question and i got top marks.......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)