Conflicting Perspectives: Syllabus Ambiguity (1 Viewer)

britinaus

HSC
Is anyone able to clarify whether or not the support texts must be other accounts of the same thing (ie. alternate texts about Caesar) or just the ideas presented (ie. another assassination plot). We have had some lengthy discussion about this at school and cannot come to solid conclusion. If anyone could shed some light (preferably with evidence) on this, I would be very appreciative.

a-jw

HSC
We've been having the same discussion at school!
Our teacher called the Board of Studies and they were pretty ambiguous about the whole thing. But basically I think what 'sikhman' said is right. As long as you've got texts which have something to do with conflicting perspectives.
Our whole class is doing one text which relates to Julius Caesar (eg. Plutarch's interpretation or the BBC film of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar) and then one completely unrelated text just to be sure.:)

dajk

HSC
that was what i was thinking of doing as well - to be safe. Plutarch offers some great conflict to shakespeare, but i also thought that other mediums that relate to assasination (for example) are relevant. But yeah, i agree it's super ambiguous and our teacher's response was just to 'define what we were going to do' so not particularly helpful.

retrieve

HSC
N/A
Don't forget that this module is called Representation and Text...the focus is on the ways that composers use form, medium, language etc to convey their perspective on personalities, events and situations. Make sure you analyse the tools of representation used- how you are positioned to consider pov (values/ attitudes/ ideology embedded) in these acts of representation.

Therefore, you must consider conflicting perpsectives of JC (Shakespeare's-> Cassius, Brutus, Antony, plebians OR Plutarch's or a more contemporary perspective BBC film version) as well as how acts of representation of other events, personalities or situations, with a FOCUS on the techniques used- contrasting/ similar.

Of course the markers would be pleased with you if you exhibited abroad knowledge/ understanding of representation- across different form/ media/ context.

Hope this is helpful.

JustAnotherDamo

HSC
I apologise if the question has definitively been answered prior but if someone could clarify, it would be greatly appreciated.

Should our related texts be:
  • Two related texts directly about Julius Caesar (for example: a Plutarch account and a picture of Caesar)
OR
  • Two completely unrelated texts about a different personality, event or situation (for example: conflicting portrayals of the Vietnam War).
"Students are also required to supplement this study with texts of their own choosing which provide a variety of representations of that event, personality or situation. These texts are to be drawn from a variety of sources, in a range of genres and media." - Syllabus

I admit that the syllabus is quite ambiguous on the subject and it seems that various schools have approached the subject differently. But thank you again!~

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
The latter. I'd recommend you'd choose something that isn't about Caesar, but nevertheless, offers conflicting perspectives of people or situations.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
"Students are also required to supplement this study with texts of their own choosing which provide a variety of representations of that event, personality or situation. These texts are to be drawn from a variety of sources, in a range of genres and media." - Syllabus
I 've got the syllabus right here in front of me this is taken directly form it:
ELECTIVES: Advanced

MODULE C: Representation and Text
Elective 1: Conflicting Perspectives

In their responding and composing, students consider the ways in which conflicting perspectives on events, personalities or situations are represented in their prescribed text and other related texts of their own choosing. Students analyse and evaluate how acts of representation, such as the choice of textual forms, features and language, shape meaning and influence responses.
Students choose one of the following texts as the basis of their further exploration of the representations of conflicting perspectives.
that reads to me as texts other than Julius Caesar based. Could you post the link or alternatively scan the page your getting your syllabus quote from please. Cause mine seems to differ.

LINK:http://boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/eng_stg6_prescrpt_0912.pdf page 21

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
The latter. I'd recommend you'd choose something that isn't about Caesar, but nevertheless, offers conflicting perspectives of people or situations.
thats what we did. I chose global warming and how big of an issue it is

j_guilliatt

HSC
I 've got the syllabus right here in front of me this is taken directly form it:

that reads to me as texts other than Julius Caesar based. Could you post the link or alternatively scan the page your getting your syllabus quote from please. Cause mine seems to differ.

LINK:http://boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/eng_stg6_prescrpt_0912.pdf page 21
If you go to the bos advanced syllabus and click on "10.9 HSC English (Advanced) Course Content" it is under Module C. It def. says "of that event."

They seem to contradict each other?
Confusion much?

trozzy

HSC
I asked my English teacher and she was adamant that the event/person or whatever is not the important thing, but the representation of it is what matters. Apparantley we shouldn't go into depth discussing details of the event, but just the way conflicting perspectives are depicted by the composer.

HSC
If you go to the bos advanced syllabus and click on "10.9 HSC English (Advanced) Course Content" it is under Module C. It def. says "of that event."

They seem to contradict each other?
Confusion much?
yeah exactly.
my friend & I had this discussion the other day. I hadnt noticed it until she pointed it out.

I havent asked my teacher but from what shes saying it seems that they dont necessarily need to relate to your text (in my case Julius Caesar) but instead be able to represent conflicting perspectives through the use of personality, event or situation.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well, think about it - there aren't really that many texts about Julius Caesar. Imagine if we all had to do texts offering CP of Julius Caesar. :p

katarinlee

HSC
Is anyone able to clarify whether or not the support texts must be other accounts of the same thing (ie. alternate texts about Caesar) or just the ideas presented (ie. another assassination plot). We have had some lengthy discussion about this at school and cannot come to solid conclusion. If anyone could shed some light (preferably with evidence) on this, I would be very appreciative.

the support texts can be anything that involves political power or unrest, betrayal, tragedy, the power of oration etc. any theme in Caesar can be what your support texts are about.
political articles or speeches, and movies like cry freedom etc are always good

FrauDarcy

HSC
Our school cannot decide what to think either... so most of us are hedging our bets and doing one related to core and one unrelated. Also, anyone doing Ted Hughes' "Birthday Letters"? Because the only other really related texts I can find are Sylvia Plath's poems, and everyone's going to do the same ones.
Any suggestions for Hughes-related texts other than Plath?

Loz the Senior

HSC
So basically, the two related texts do not have to relate to Julius Caesar directly but must contain conflicting perspectives on a similar issue,
My class had an hour discussion on this and i am still not entirely sure.

Any clarification would be great!

:hippie:

elliotkool

HSC
umm..im actually using the movie Valkyrie as my support text
People who do modern history would have studied Stauffenberg (Tom Cruise) and would know there are some historical inaccuracies

Besides that, theres also conflicting perspectives between Hitler and Stauffenberg, similar to that of Brutus and Caesar
It is their conflicting perspectives that lead to the assassination of Caesar, and the attempted assassination on Hitler

If you are doing Valkyrie, there are also conflicting perspectives between Stauffenberg and his conspiracy group (especially the leader who is to be Chancellor after the Nazi party it put down)

Funke

HSC
I have a question and i'm pretty stumped.
How do we go about linking our chosen texts?
Do we talk about one idea and how each text/composer represents each perspective or what?

My teacher doesn't really help, all he says is just how the texts show conflicting perspectives which is not only ambiguous but a very broad statement as well.

Last edited:

marshmallowpie

HSC
why does no one seem to study Snow Falling On Cedars!? i swear my school is out to get me with incredibly ambiguous and repetitive texts that only utilise few, incredibly cliché and mundane techniques.

if your stuck, link the texts simply by the fact that they use techniques of their text type (eg. if your using a film, then talk about cinematic techniques like camera angles to portray POV etc) to convey conflicting perspectives between characters or whatever the hell the syllabus says. your texts don't necessarily need to link by having common conflicting perspectives, as i've seen people asking before if they should use texts relating to the same event in history. the only thing (which is what i understand from the syllabus and have been taught) that you need really to connect the texts is the use of techniques to portray conflicting perspectives. If the composers use similar techniques, then thats probably a plus too.

[its not the board of studies. its the board of disinformation and lies.]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)